+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is this Tool?

Could someone please tell me what this tool is and what it is used for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT5191 copy.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	41  

Default Re: What is this Tool?

if that is a lens on on there it is probably a sextant.if not it is prabably an angle finder

It has a leveling bubble and seem to be some kind of level for angles.

Default Re: What is this tool?

I have one of these angle things as well... Could have been used to set up equipment back in the day. Mine is graduated in GRAD and RADS. I'm still looking to see what they are used for.

Look it over well and see if there is a name or model number. Then, do a search for that and see what you find.

It certainly appears to be used for finding angles.

If the units are in Grads ( Gradians ) and Rads ( Radians ) seems to indicate this a device used in surveying.

Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by vandy View Post
    Could someone please tell me what this tool is and what it is used for?
    I don't know the name but it is used in the timber/logging industry to calculate the slope of a mountain. My dad gave me his and he was a forester.
    Last edited by toast; 08-02-2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: added stuff

A tool used to measure the angle of a slope is called an inclinometer or clinometer.

I think the term inclineometer is correct. It is used to determine angle or slope measured in degrees. They saw widespread use in many different industries. It could be used to determine of existing slope or angle or it could be used to set a new angle as in construction. I saw them in use as late as the 1960s.they are probably still in use all over the world.
    Last edited by garyg; 09-15-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: i left out something i ment to say

Well, it's certainly not a sextant. A sextant, by definition, must have a range of 1/6 of a circle, or 60 degrees. This is more like a quadrant, being it is 1/4 of a circle, or 90 degrees (and it is graduated in degrees). Both quadrants and sextants are intended for determining the height, or angle, of the sun above the horizon for use in marine navigation. A quadrant is usually a simpler device comprised of a plumb bob and an angle finder; a sextant (a later invention) generally adds a sight glass.

But I don't think it's a quadrant, either. Since it features a spirit level on the movable part and a large, flat base, it appears to be a clinometer for measuring the angle of a hard, smooth surface such as a roof.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.