+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radial Arm saw

Default Radial Arm saw

Curious .... anyone still using a radial arm saw these days?

Default Re: Radial Arm saw

My brother in law has an old Craftsman that he still uses .

Now, why is Canuk asking about woodworking tools, he still thinks you use the backside of a handsaw for that smooth finish cut. He's been working on the same 2X4 for 3˝weeks.

Seriously, I got rid of mine many moons ago because I just didn't like it. I have had a few jobs that it would have been handy for though.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That's the thing .... they used to be very common ... but not much anymore.
    They combine a lot of functionality and are very useful.

I happened to be in a Sears store the other day and noticed only one radial arm saw available where in the past they used to have 4 different models.... hmmm.

probally because most people use their compound sliding miter saw in the same basic way that a radial arm saw is used.

he still thinks you use the backside of a handsaw for that smooth finish cut. He's been working on the same 2X4 for 3˝weeks.
    Geez ... and I thought it was just hard wood.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    probally because most people use their compound sliding miter saw in the same basic way that a radial arm saw is used.
    Well you can't do dados or rips with the compoud for example ... and in most cases can be a breeze with the radial than a table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Well you can't do dados or rips with the compoud for example ... and in most cases can be a breeze with the radial than a table saw.
    not disagreeing with ya. but with most people's home workshops they have limited space and so if you can use your table saw for doing dados and rips, then you have eliminated one saw that you don't have to buy and overcrowd an already cramped space.

Gon't forget , you also have table saws that are cheaper, routers and router tables all doing the functions that the RA saw use to do, and not with compound miter saws there very little left to need a RA saw.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I hear ya ... I'm just curious as to why they seemed to fall out of favor.

Aside from a compound being portable the radial would take the place of that and a table saw.... so one saw takes the place of two ... for the most part.

I was remembering a cabinet maker that used to do the majority of all cuts on a radial arm saw. In discussions with him about why he didn't have a table saw he said that he could do everything he need to do on that saw with less set up time. He also pointed out it gave him more room for other specialized equipment like joiners , planers , etc. because of not having the table saws.