+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Question

Default Drill Question

Does anyone know what type of drill that is that Tom Silva uses on the show? I think it's a Kawasaki.
    I've never let my schooling interfere with my education.

--Mark Twain

Default Re: Drill Question

its a Festool. a very very good but very expensive european brand that is becoming more popular in the US.

Gary

Note: Black & Decker was at the bottom of all types.
    No way ... that's shocking news.

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    But with all of the good brands of drill/drivers available, I have no idea why anyone would pay such an outrageous price for one of these.
    Me neither but with the volume of work that the Silva Brother's do I think they can afford them and are welcome to use what they like or are given as a test market.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    Me neither but with the volume of work that the Silva Brother's do I think they can afford them and are welcome to use what they like or are given as a test market.

sometimes I buy a more expensive tool simply on the basis of how it feels in my hand versus other models of high quality. I haven't owned a festool so so I really couldn't rank them as far as how long they last or how they hold up. the nearest festool dealer around here is about 4 hours away over in jacksonville, so even when I buy tools I also give consideration to if they ever need service

festools are a high end line of german tools. they are made excellent, great guarantee, and service backup better than anything I have ever seen.

yes their drills are at the high end. but the features that they have are exceptional. as with any tool it is what feels best, does what it is supposed to do etc. it reminds me of a dewalt drill I bought 18v 289 bucks drilled a hole and went to pull out the bit out of the hole and the entire chuck was left on the wall with the rest of the drill on my hand, this type of stuff has happened many times with dewalt tools. was 289 expensive, yes and to have this happen?

with festool this type of stuff does not happen. however, if it did, I could call them and they next day to me a replacement if needed.

so when you add quailty, service, all the different things the tools will do. then that is great VALUE for the money.

their drill has attachments for getting at weird angles etc.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    No way ... that's shocking news.
    Especially when you consider the fact that Black and Decker own DeWalt.
    That reminds me of how Carrier bought out a manufacturer named Bryant as a low cost alternative and they (Carrier and Bryant) use crappy ICP (International Cooling Products) air handlers.

Looks like Black and Decker were trying the same stratagy in reverse.

--Mark Twain

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering because I am constantly pricing and browsing tools all the time and have never seen that one. i have heard of Festool before and noticed that they are't widely marketed so I paid them no mind.

I'll stick with my Hitachi for now. Normally on shows like that i usually try to remember that the tools they use are also sponsors of the show and take it with a grain of salt.

--Mark Twain

i know only a few guys who have festool, they claim it hands down outperforms anything thats readily available, however there is a huge cost difference. the kapex 10" sliding compound mitre saw is $2800 canadian. but its the only saw which you can build a set of stain grade stairs with a custom handrail right out of the box, most others your looking at roughly 20 minutes minimum setting one up

on the topic of black and decker... higher priced junk when it comes to dewalt, the only tool they make i kind of like is the table saw but if it goes out of alignment it takes like 30 minutes to fix, my bosch takes 5 minutes and it has a larger cut capacity and is more powerful. to make things worse porter cable WAS one of the top brands being made, then b&d bought them out and turned porter cable into a do-it-yourselfer brand of tools by simply re labelling the black and decker stuff. add to the mix weiser locks... i stopped using them 5 years ago after having to replace all the door handles on three straight homes
    fire up the saw and make some dust

StanleyBlack&Deckers owns the following brands:
    DeWalt
    B&D
    Porter Cable
    Bostich
    Delta
    http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com...iy/*****-tools

These are all good contractor tools if you buy the higher end models. You will seldom see a contractor using Bosch or Festool, not because of quality, but price. Construction tools have a short lifespan due to dropping, abuse, and theft. If I accidentally let a cordless DeWalt slide off a roof, I just go buy another. If it was a Festool, I would be inclined to follow it down.
    "Lead by Example"