+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Controlling Ceiling Fan from Wall Switch

You have to have power coming to this somewhere. Here's another possible diagram, with the back always hot and the red switched.

I do these type of drawings with MS Paint and save as JPG file and upload to my Photobocket account.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    In the box there is white, black and red.

On the fan there is white, blue, and black. (Fan black is connected to box black to provide power to the fan, and fan blue is connected to box black to provide power to the fan light.)

Bob

P.S. I just checked the wall switch. Black and red are attached to the switch.
    Are you sure that both red and black are attached to the switch?
    Until you mentioned that, I was going to say that the house was wired with future ceiling fan installation in mind. We often put in a three wire to great room and master bedroom lights to accommodate a ceiling fan at a later date, and the red wire in the ceiling and switch are capped.

It may be that a mistake was made on the final, and a three-way switch was put in when they saw a red wire in the switch box, connecting all the wires to the switch, power to the black (common) screw and red and black to the other screws.

If it is wired as I think, you can put two switches in, one for the fan and one for the light, fairly easily. Duplex toggle switches are available at your local hardware store and will fit in a single box, or if you are ambitious you can replace the single gang switch box with a two gang box, with minimal damage to the drywall, if you are careful. (Turn off the power at the breaker box first!)

When you have your two switches in, connect the power to each (pigtail) and the wires from the switch leg, black to one switch and red to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by brentalt View Post
    Are you sure that both red and black are attached to the switch?
    Until you mentioned that, I was going to say that the house was wired with future ceiling fan installation in mind. We often put in a three wire to great room and master bedroom lights to accommodate a ceiling fan at a later date, and the red wire in the ceiling and switch are capped.

It may be that a mistake was made on the final, and a three-way switch was put in when they saw a red wire in the switch box, connecting all the wires to the switch, power to the black (common) screw and red and black to the other screws.

If it is wired as I think, you can put two switches in, one for the fan and one for the light, fairly easily. Duplex toggle switches are available at your local hardware store and will fit in a single box, or if you are ambitious you can replace the single gang switch box with a two gang box, with minimal damage to the drywall, if you are careful. (Turn off the power at the breaker box first!)

When you have your two switches in, connect the power to each (pigtail) and the wires from the switch leg, black to one switch and red to the other.

I had wondered that also except he said he was connected to the black wire and the switch had no control he had to turn it on and off with the chain.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Yet he also claimed that the switch formerly controlled the former light fixture, made no claim that the original light even had a chain, said the original was connected to black and white, red capped off at the ceiling, and made no mention of changing the switch wiring.

Something here does not compute. I don't trust the fact set presented as being accurate, complete or remembered.

Suspect other wiring in both locations, or that the fact set as presented are incorrect (that the red wire at the ceiling WAS capped off. Most likely? the OP has forgotten how the original light fixture was wired.

For example if power at the ceiling, and there are no other wires or cable at either location and the light was the end of the circuit: black to black at the ceiling box not connected to the light at all, white at the ceiling box to the white on the light, and red from the switch was attached to the light's black might have been the original configuration before the OP started tinkering.
    Agreed, That's why I posted the drawings of the 2 most likely scenarios. Unfortunately the OP has not come back yet.
    Jack