+ Reply to Thread

Default What did I pull out of my tub overflow tube?

My bathtub's plunger-type drain stopper doesn't work. I took off the overflow plate and took out the linkage. Instead of a brass cylinder on the end, there was this plastic ring with plastic fingers attached, which sort of forms a slotted cylinder. It obviously can't stop any water from flowing, and the staff of several hardware stores has no idea what it is.

Could there have been a cylinder that fit over the fingers, which is still down in the overflow? I fished around with a coat hanger and couldn't find anything.

This tub is about 20 years old, and it's a jacuzzi which looks like a deep bathtub. The overflow cover plate says American Standard. Any idea what this thing on the end of the linkage was?

Since the tub is so deep, a brass cylinder and linkage I bought aren't long enough -- it needs to be about an inch and a half longer than its longest setting. I'm thinking of bending a hook on the end of another brass rod to make a third section to the linkage. But if there's something stuck in the pipe, this wouldn't work.

Default Re: What did I pull out of my tub overflow tube?

There are two types of bath tube stoppers with linkage. One is like the picture below, which has a round cylinder hanging on the end the blocks water flow. The other has a jointed linkage that fits in the drain and raises and lower the pop-up stopper. It's easy to tell the difference. the first usually only has a strainer cover over the drain the second has a stopper that raises and lower at the drain about the same as on a lavatory sink. If you can post a pic of what you have it would be helpful.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-14-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You might want to take a look at this page http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...RepTubDrn.html It gives a little more detail.
    Jack

Everything looks like it's a plunger type drain (the cylinder in the overflow tube that lowers to block the T from the actual tub drain), except that I haven't found the actual cylinder.

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, and I can't post a link to a picture of the plastic thing because I haven't found it in any web searches. It's basically a cylinder made of plastic, except with vertical slots all the way around the outside (which make it useless for stopping water flow, unless there was a covering that's still stuck in the drain). Nothing connects the plastic fingers at the bottom end of the cylinder -- they're only attached at the top.

The lower rod of the linkage is part of the same plastic piece, and screws onto the threaded metal upper section, which is attached to the overflow plate.

There's a strainer on the drain, but it's a replacement type, and isn't screwed in because the cross-bar in the drain is broken off.

The cylinder may have dropped off. If you can't fish it out you may have to go below and remove the trap to get to it. Good luck.
    Jack

i had a plunger drain that did not work the plunger was so caked up wth slime and sludge it almost did not come out for me you might want to bite the bullet and take yours apart

I would have to cut open a wall, ceiling, or floor to get to the trap. Are there any tricks to getting a stuck cylinder out of the overflow tube, besides fishing around with a hooked coat hanger?

Not that I know of, just make sure it's long enough to go all the way down into the trap. Unfortunately, if you have to cut a hole int the ceiling, it won't be the first time that has been done nor will it be the last. If the tube drains OK you could forget about it and use a rubber pad type stopper until it starts giving you problems.
    Jack

Well, I finally tried putting in the new brass cylinder. First I hung it from a beaded chain to get the extra length I needed to see if I could get it down to the T in the overflow tube, without getting blocked by anything like an old cylinder. I saw that it easily went down low enough to keep the water in the tub, so I bent loops in the ends of a spare brass rod and attached it to the linkage to make it longer.

So the drain now works just fine, although I still have no idea what the slotted plastic thing was.