+ Reply to Thread

Default Hydronic wet installation over slab thickness

I was wondering if anyone knew the minimum required thickness of concrete/gypsum in a Hydronic wet installation over a basement slab?

Also I'd like to know if pex should be used or a more rigid tubing?

Thanks,

Joe
    A wise man once said: "In an unknown universe, it's a fool that believes his conclusions are definitive."

Default Re: Hydronic wet installation over slab thickness

According to the pex mfgr Stadler-Viega site below, they specify a slab at least 3 1/2" thick over poylstyrene insulation boards with reinforcing steel mesh, the pex tied to the mesh, with a minimum concrete coverage of the pex of 1".

Also Google the Universal Building Code: "UBC Section 1906.3.10" & check with local building inspector for any local variations.

http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/ubc/5944.pdf
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 02-14-2008 at 09:41 AM.

I believe instillation over a pre-existing concrete floor is 1" and in IMHO Pex would be the best choice. For minimal thickness you might consider Fig. 2 page 3 of the link that Jacktheshack provided.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The UBC code, according to Stadler indicates a minimum slab thickness of 3 1/2" for slab on grade systems; the 1 1/2" noted in 1906.3.10 refers to the amount of coverage over the PEX element.

The code also allows for thin-slab systems of 1.5" for residential wood-framed floor decks that would not support the weight of a 3 1/2' to 4" concrete slab.

These often include gypcrete & other light weight concrete products.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 02-14-2008 at 01:33 PM.