+ Reply to Thread

Default Retaining Wall Problem

I have a lannon stone retaining wall that fell about 3 years ago (two days after we moved in). I put it back up and built a raised garden in front of it to prevent it from falling again. The raised garden has done its work, but now it's leaning at a different part of the wall. What is the cheapest/easiest way to fix/replace this wall? We've investigated tearing down the wall, leveling, and putting up with same material (but with better drainage behind it); and overlapping 8x8's with holes drilled for rebar into the ground. My latest idea is to slope the area down and create a patio surrounded by a garden. I will post pictures later, but am hoping someone can answer the earlier question, or this one: is it possible to create a hill in place of a retaining wall that won't wash away?

Thanks!

Default Re: Retaining Wall Problem

If you want to keep the wall, it would be best to dig out behind it to see what drainage, if any, was there originally. If no, or inadequate, drainage is installed, you really should disassemble the wall and rebuild the area behind it with proper drainage (including a drainpipe if necessary) before building the wall back up.

As for a hill, it really depends on the slope involved. A low slope should be easily taken care of with creeping groundcover to anchor the hilltop. If it would require a steep slope, you'd probably be better off terracing it (if you have the room to do so).
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Default Re: Retaining Wall Problem

Yup, it is almost definitely a drainage issue.