+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Insulating crawl space...home inspector said no

I've read the similar posts on this subject, but didn't want to hijack them. We bought our '48 split level about 6 yrs ago. The main floor is over an uninsulated crawl space. The crawl space has two exterior vents, and vented vented doors to a downstairs family room.

When we bought the house the home inspector said not to insulate the crawl space. I cant remember his exact reasoning, but I believe it had to do with the heater needs to pull air in to be efficient. After the first winter without being able to use the downstairs family room, because it was so drafty, I finally put insulation in the vents and on the vented doors. This did help....although still cold.

The main concern is the main floor....it seems cold all the time, so I was thinking I should insulate the floor. From reading the other posts, I'm thinking this will be ok. What size insulation should I use...were in South Eastern, PA. I saw something in one of the other posts about moistue control, should this be a concern in the summer?

Default Re: Insulating crawl space...home inspector said no

try a spray foam contractor its easier

Scribe ... perhaps it's me but .... I'm not quite following the description regarding a vented door to the downstairs family room and how it's connected to the crawl space.

Also is the family room over a crawl space?

What is in the crawl space a dirt floor and what is the foundation setup?

Also can you describe your heating system?

Perhaps you could include some photos.

Don't have any photos handy that would explain layout, so I put this quick picture together to give you an idea of the layout. The green in the picture is the surrounding grade of the property. As well as an example of the venterd doors, which go across the family room as an entrace to the crawl space beneath the living room/main floor.

The heating system is gas forced air unit. The house is built on a cinder block foundation, with a rough concrete floor in the crawl space.

Think that answers your questions. If any other information would help, please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house_diagram.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	737  

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Don't have any photos handy that would explain layout, so I put this quick picture together to give you an idea of the layout. The green in the picture is the surrounding grade of the property. As well as an example of the venterd doors, which go across the family room as an entrace to the crawl space beneath the living room/main floor.

The heating system is gas forced air unit. The house is built on a cinder block foundation, with a rough concrete floor in the crawl space.

Think that answers your questions. If any other information would help, please let me know.
    Great stuff ... I was thinking that might be the way it was ... just had to be certain.

Is the furnace system located in the crawl space ?

Is the "vent" that's in the crawl space simply opened to outside ?

Here is a diagram of the layout of the bottom floor. The crawl space would be all to the right. The HVAC and Water Heater are in the utility room across the hall from the Family Room.

The vent in the crawl space does go right outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom_floor.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	738