+ Reply to Thread

Question Reflective Foil Insulation in Attics

I attended a seminar on a product called HeatGuard. I've since found similar products - RadiantGuard and Prodex. All these products can be installed on the attic floor over top of existing insulating material. The HeatGuard people gave me a quote of $ about $3600 for a 1730 sq. ft. attic. I'm concerned about effects of the high humidity in Raleigh, NC, and the seemingly high cost vs savings that might be less than 20% on the average. Anybody have any experience with any of these technologies?

Default Re: Reflective Foil Insulation in Attics

Hi
    My husband and I also attended a seminar in Oxford, NC. The presentation was by a gentleman from Raleigh by the name of Skip. He brought with him a lot of referrals that you could have read. The 20% that they talked about saving on your bill was estimated on the very low side. They haven't installed ours but what they could get at was only 1400 sq. ft. There is a guaranteee as well that they provide and that's why they low ball it. I think you will save more than that but if you are not completely satisfied, they will take the installation out and return your money. You just have to keep your bills so that you can prove it is not as efficient as they claim. I have not looked at the other similar products but I intend to.

Default Re: Reflective Foil Insulation in Attics

I went to their website and since you are both from North Carolina I thought i had better educate myself.

"RadiantGUARDŽ radiant barrier reflective insulation products can reduce attic temperatures by up to 30 degrees when installed to the underside of roof rafters. Lowering attic temperatures provides a significant benefit by reducing air conditional loads and energy usage."

The part that bothers me is think of the FROG's everybody does over their garages. If the insulation is between the rafters is placed directly between the rafters it is a code violation and the life the of the roof shingles is decreased due to extreme heat build up. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and in the roofing section there is a styrofoam product to create and air channel between the roof and the insulation/drywall. It also helps to build out those roof rafters from 2"x4" to 2"x^6" (or 8" is better but more $$$)and then add the stryofoam and insulation.

You might want to campare the cost of doing that versus this barrier. I don't think it is a bad idea,. But, consider the cost and the health of your roof if there is no air circulation. Good luck. Process of elimination.