+ Reply to Thread

Angry extra stuck wallpaper

Hi--Iam living in a new victorian style home and want to pain my kitchen-I started taking down wall paper but can only get it down in 1 in or less pieces-I think the walls only have primer on them and were not painted or sized prior---help!! I have tried commercial removers and mixtures of fabric softener- and one of soap and vinegar and am getting no where-what can i do without ruining the wallboard behind the paper?

Default Re: extra stuck wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by frenchyvan View Post
    Hi--Iam living in a new victorian style home and want to pain my kitchen-I started taking down wall paper but can only get it down in 1 in or less pieces-I think the walls only have primer on them and were not painted or sized prior---help!! I have tried commercial removers and mixtures of fabric softener- and one of soap and vinegar and am getting no where-what can i do without ruining the wallboard behind the paper?
    You say very little about how you proceded, but let me suggest a few things: You could be correct that the wall was not prepared properly when the paper was originally hung. Because there is likely very little sealer under the paper preventing your water from continuing on into the drywall, it is especially important to wet the wall down thoroughly and quickly. If your paper is not one of the dry strippable variety, witch it is obviously not, scratch through the outer layer with 36 grit sandpaper. You need to get through the plastic coating and the inks to the paper. Protect the floor to catch the water which will roll down the wall. I use a garden pressure sprayer and hot water to soak the paper. DO NOT get impatient. It will take 10 to 20 minutes of soaking to get the paste to release. DO NOT wet down the whole room. If you get too far ahead, you will not be able to keep up and the wall will dry down again. Do one wall at a time. As soon as the paper comes off, immediately wash the paste off using a 3-M type scrubby pad and sponge. Use the sprayer to aid in keeping the paste wet . Don't let it sry out or you will merely have to wet the wall down and risk doing damage to the wall from too much water too long!

Smile Re: extra stuck wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by frenchyvan View Post
    I would suggest a steamer, too. I removed wallpaper from an old, old house many years ago. There were many, many layers of wallpaer. We tried everything, scraping, peeling, etc. Once we used a steamer, it came off quite easily, but do not be in a hurry. Allow the steam to soften the old glue, most likeely old corn starch glue.

It was surprising how good the quality of the old plaster looked, once the paper was removed. Just some filling the cracks with drywall compound, sand, and paint, paint, paint. Use a high quality primer, before you paint.

Have fun. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip on old plaster walls removing of old wall paper. I noted some 1/8" settling cracks, I hope? This old house is 80+ years. On brick pillons. I am on a FIXED income so most of this is on me. Should I get a contractor to look inspect etc? Would drywall compound work to fill wallpaper seams? Saving work for summer to open windows and save the central system over working.
    Peace, Love, Hope and Joy,
    Houseworker
    Rose-Marie

I have the answer for your wallpaper problem - I had exactly the same problem and bought the $99 Wagner steamer from Lowe's and it melts the wallpaper right of the wall- It saved me months of wallpaper removal - my entire has was wallpaper without sizing! The only problem is that the steamer is only good for about 45 minutes of wall paper removal then you have to cool it down for about 20 minutes then refill and keep going. This method isn't perfect, water drips down the wall, etc but it is far better than the painstaking processing of picking tiny pieces of paper off the wall. Good Luck!

If you are still having problems, look for a product called Chomp. Best stripper on the market.

Several years ago my wife and I had a similar problem. What we discovered was the wallpaper was put right up on the drywall. No priming no sizing, Nothing. Everything came down in little pieces. What I ended up doing is scoring the walls with a rotary disk devices, sorry forget the name. The spraying the walls after work for several nights. Bright and early on the weekends, we used two steamers to tackle to project. The reason for two was after one drained the resevoir you switched to the second and kept rotating back and forth. After the wallpaper was down, I rented a drywall sander with a shopvac attached. It was still dusty but not as bad as it could have been. The last stage was to become very good friends with spackle to smooth out the gouges from the putty knives taking down the wallpaper.

How ever you proceed, good luck and keep a sense of humor because it is frustrating.