+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wheat straw

Default wheat straw

We just seeded our yard. Used Pennington Fescue 31, starter Fertilizer 10-10-10 and covered it with wheat straw. We have been watering and it's starting to grow. My question is do we rake the wheat straw up when grass is ready or mow it back into the lawn.

Thanks,
    Mary

Question Re: wheat straw

Can anyone help me please with a answer or where can I find this information.
    Thanks

Default Re: wheat straw

Personally, I've always used sod, IMHO it is far better than seed for a number of reasons, including cost, but this doesn't help you now.

What you do with the straw would depend on the topography of the yard and the propensity for erosion without a full lawn in place, thickness of the new grass, and whether the straw is so deep that it will stunt the new grass from sprouting, growing, and thriving. If it were me, I'd run the bagger on the mower and remove the clippings and straw so that the seedling grass isn't buried.

If the straw isn't too thick I'd leave it in place. The straw should be thin enough to allow light to peek thru to the underlying seeds/seedlings.

It serves several purposes: 1- It aids in preventing any seed that's sitting on the surface from blowing away 2- To shelter the seeds/seedlings from harsh UV 3- As a mulch to help keep the ground moist. 4- It aids in preventing erosion of the seed during rain storms/heavy watering. #3 is probably the most important function.

If the ground dries out, it can leave tender new seedlings starving for moisture at a critical time. Just a few hours in bone-dry ground can be enough to kill those freshly sprouted seedlings. On the other hand...if the straw is too thick/deep it can hinder the germination. A light covering is all that's necessary/beneficial. Can't see the situation without a pic. (hint, hint)

If the grass is growing the straw is not to heavy. Leave it there it will break down very quickly on its own and add organic material to the soil. If you rake it up you will probably pull up as much of the new seedlings as you do straw. By the time the grass is established enough to mow chances are you won't even see the straw.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb