+ Reply to Thread

Default toilet overflow leaked through floor!

Can fix the toilet and my brother-in-law found where it leaked through the floor so can fix that. . . what I'm concerned about is whether or not there's damage to the ceiling area that should be dealt with. This was dirty water that leaked from the bathroom floor and came out a recessed light fixture in the kitchen. We think/hope that the water all came out and it's very dry weather-wise so it should dry out. . . but is it there anything we should be concerned about in terms of the germs from the toilet water?

Default Re: toilet overflow leaked through floor!

This is an environmental issue. Not a plumbing problem. Which is a good point. If it grosses you out then tear it out and replace it. and while you ceiling is open you may as well do some lighting upgrades.

Default Re: toilet overflow leaked through floor!

Yes you should be concerned. I have the same type of concern in my house where the kid's bathroom always overflows and leeches into my older son's room. He has a compromised respiratory system as it is. There's not much you can do about it unless you're willing to rip out the affected area, pay for remediation then repair.

This is not a diy option because many respiratory illnesses come from airborne particles.
    Debby in Oklahoma