+ Reply to Thread

Default Gas hot water baseboard funnace reset

I have a 3 zone hot water baserboard furnace that ocasionly wont turn on. If I turn the AC power off and then quickly back on it works, for a few more days. When turning the thermostat off and on I hear the circulating pump turn on, but no flame. Pilot is ok. When I reset the powere the circulating pump and the furnace gas fires up. What voltage should I have ? any other ideas to check ?

Default Re: Gas hot water baseboard funnace reset

Check out the site below for some ways to troubleshoot this type of problem.

Scroll down & click onto the item:"My boiler stops working intermittently", which is the 53rd item on the list.

As the site notes, working on gas heating equipment can be hazardous; if you feel at all uncomfortable, contact a service person in your area.

http://forum.doityourself.com/forumd...e=3&order=desc
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 02-11-2008 at 01:13 PM.

If you mistakingly break something the service call will cost more.I would not mess with a gas appliance unless you know what you are doing.

hey infared what business is it of yours if the guy wants to fix his own furnice..do you have any clue that they charge $250 just to come out an look at it...an thats plus the parts they put in.

its unbelieveable..the contractors and journeyman tell you what they will charge and then charge more if it breaks down again for the same thing.

meanwhile theres no heat in the house an everyones freezin.

its unbelievable...thay think everyones made of money.
    Last edited by Manual Labor; 02-11-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manual Labor View Post
    hey infared what business is it of yours if the guy wants to fix his own furnice..do you have any clue that they charge $250 just to come out an look at it...an thats plus the parts they put in.

its unbelieveable..the contractors and journeyman tell you what they will charge and then charge more if it breaks down again for the same thing.

meanwhile theres no heat in the house an everyones freezin.

its unbelievable...thay think everyones made of money.
    Hey, hot water baseboard would be supplied by a boiler or a water heater, not a furnace. Maybe the guy shouldn't be working on it just based on that. How do you know that a non-emergent service call is a minimum of $250? That's nuts.

This is an advice board so If you ask advice it doesn't mean you have to agree with it.
    So if the advice may be dangerous why shouldn't it be made known.

This board is to promote do it your self but if a question is asked of a given subject it means there is dought on the part of asking party.So if in dought whats wrong with an aire on the side of caution.

dumb question is your house cold at this point if not boiler temp just did not hit low limit it might be fine

I agree with Manual Labor and the thousands of members who come to this board every day to seek diy help.

It's obvious that Infarared echoes the position of the old school reactionary elements in the HVAC industry, where the diy movement takes food off their table.

He's using the TOH board to advertise his HVAC business as a "journeyman" to get free advertisement for his business so he can maximize his profits.

It's little wonder he takes the position of forcing everyone to submit to high service fees everytime they have a problem around the house, typical.

We're not here to subsidize the HVAC industry, although Infrared seems to think so.

The entire diy concept is out the window if we follow Infrared's logic.

Using HIS mindset, there's an unacceptable risk of back injury or slip and fall to everyone who clears snow from their property, so call a "professional".

There's risk of electrocution or burning the house down if you fix a lamp socket, so call a "professional".

The house will flood if you try to fix a faucet, so call a "professional".

It's a broken record, stale argument that's been used for decades, nobody believes it anymore.

Didn't you know that the homeowner is not supposed to touch any of this stuff?

They're supposed to "call a professional".

There's been a longstanding prejudice by so many (not all) in the licensed building trades against EVEN THE NOTION of diy around the house.

They have the idea that they're a step closer to being driven out of business eveytime they pass by a Home Depot or Lowes, so they take out their hostility on diy posters and forums.

Any reasonable, sensible contractor knows that diy activity and the home improvement stores actually INCREASE trade and jobs for the building tradespeople.

Jack has given freely of his time to help so many. I don't have to elaborate, just look at the posts he's put up over the years.

He clearly gave the option to the OP to contact a service person in the event of any misgivings about doing the repair.

You'd have to be living on another planet to contend that HVAC sservice and fuel costs are not as Manual Labor indicates.

Infrared, do us all a favor, and go peddle your profit-making attempts elsewhere, that's what you're all about anyway.
    Last edited by Rosaleeta; 02-12-2008 at 09:43 AM.

when the boiler doesnt fire do you not have heat? it could just be cycling on aquatstat. if not it may be an ignition problem. if you have spark ignition and not a standing pilot, your ignition circuit borad is probobly locking out and only resets with a power break. if this is the case you need a tech to diagnose the electrical problem. its probobly a dirty or faulty flame sensor but it could be something else.

Gary

for those of you offended by my suggestion I apologize. however I agree with you in the way that I fully support DIY. outside of my own field I always attempt my own repairs and projects and will only pay someone if it all turns very bad. with this question I sugested a tech may be needed because if it is a board problem the average homeowner will find it difficult to buy the needed part. there is no one who supports and appreciates DIY as much as I do.

Gary