+ Reply to Thread

Default tongue and groove wall

Hi! I have inherited my parents 1950's home. My husband and I want to insulate the non-insulated walls. We will have to take down the 5 inch tongue and groove planks to do this. My question is, how do I do this without damaging the boards? We want to put them back up after insulating. I tried in the living room where I know the boards were damaged from previous termite damage just to see how hard it would be. I started from the bottom and cracked off the tongue part to get it out. Would it be wiser to start from the top? I was told to start from the bottom.
    Thank you very much for any help, Kathy

Default Re: tongue and groove wall

If the tongue is up you should remove from the ceiling down.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That's what I thought. It just makes more sense. Thanks for the affirmation. Can you still get this type of board? I have some pieces I can use for the broken one, but just in case there are any more accidents, it would be nice to know I can replace it. If not I'll just use 1x6?

yes you can usually find that type of wood, if not you can make with a router table and a t&g router set of bits. good luck

You can still get that type of board but the new ones may be slightly narrower than the old.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You also need to know that even if you do slightly damage the tongue or the back of the groove, you can still use it again. As a general rule, when it is put back together, those two damaged areas do not show. You might also want to consider removeing the boards by using a "saws-all" saw to cut through the nails from the back between the boards and the studs. Be sure you use the "metal" blade to do this, not the destruction blade, because it is thinner and easier to get behind the boards. You will still have to pry off the top few boards by hand, until you can get the saw in above and behind the boards. The saw makes much quicker work of the project, and you wont damage the tongue nearly as much.