+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sump Pump

Default Sump Pump

I'd like to know why my sump pump works fine off & on. There's time where it will pump & then there are time when it just runs with out pumping, I'd have to go unplug it then plug it back in do you know why this happens? It's a new pump & the other one we had did the same thing. Till it burned the motor from running to much.

Default Re: Sump Pump

I guess NO ONE knows what to tell me?

Sounds like its loosing its prime.-there may be a sticking check valve on the discharge.

How do,I check to see if thats the problem?

Coreen

When the pump is on watch the water being drawn into the suction side when the pump shuts off watch the level if the water runs back into the sump hole then the check valve is letting the water leak by. Also check the intake. unplug it lift the pump and look at the intake if you can sometimes the strainer gets blocked with lint or debris

Yes water does go back into the sump. So wheres the check valve and what do,I do?

Thank Coreen

Thumbs up Re: Sump Pump

Some systems have a ball check or a flapper or a spring and seat valve at the leaving part of the pump assembly some have to have one field installed on the riser leaving the pump .You have to look for it. Here is a typical diagram by the way people make mistakes so look for the arrow on the valve if you have a check valve at all -it should go away from the pump. If you were in charlotte I could look at it for you but if your in dought call a plumber pump number 3 is on the way if you don't know what your doing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	typical_sump_pump_installation.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	726  
    Last edited by Infraredsurvey.com; 02-10-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added more info

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll let my husband know these suggestion &,I hope he knows what to look for. I threaten to get a plumber but $ is few.Thanks again.

Coreen