+ Reply to Thread

Default Bragging about my floating shelves

I finally took the bi-fold doors we removed from the laundry room and put them to good use. I took the pocket screw jig and drill bit I saw on TOH 3-4 years ago and drilled holes to match the studs in the wall.

I couldn't find the screws that they suggested I use so I put washers on 2 1/2 inch drywall screws and settled those into the holes.

I did notice that the right one is not centered between the other two but I intend to replace them in a few years anyway.

Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: Bragging about my floating shelves

That's pretty good for a girl. Sorry the devil made me do it.

If anyone says anything about the shelf not being centered, just tell them you used the ****en ratio, like any serious furniture builder.

Seriously, they look great Debby, and I love to see recycling of material.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    just tell them you used the ****en ratio,
    Do unto shelving as you would ... No, that can't be it ...

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Do unto shelving as you would ... No, that can't be it ...
    It's about 1.6 to 1 and is supposed to give designs aesthetically pleasing proportions.For instance if you are building a chest 4 ft high it should be 6.4 ft. long.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-11-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It's about 1.6 to 1 and is supposed to give designs aesthetically pleasing proportions.For instance if you are building a chest 4 ft high it should be 6.4 ft. long.
    Jack
    I was joking, I've recommended the ****en Mean (****en rectangle, ****en ratio, etc ) around here many a time. Use it all the time in the shop.

How much weight can they support ? Could you place books on them ?

Great use of the door slabs!!

Regarding the spacing discrepancy...just put something that fills the space on the bottom shelf and say you needed to put the middle shelf there for the required clearance!

One caution....drywall screws are not the most "beefy" fasteners. Maybe you would want to swap out the screws with something a little stronger if you are putting any kind of weight on there?

Debby, they look just great! Good work..
    and don't worry about the one not being exactly centered - the way you have them is pleasing to the eye, and you can always use the additional space for taller things (as someone said before).

Are they for displaying lighter things or will you have to secure them differently if you wanted to use them for books or other heavy sutff?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbuzz View Post
    How much weight can they support ? Could you place books on them ?

I have put books up there but I didn't really build them to be library shelving. Eventually I will put custom book cases and storage cabinets up there.

These doors aren't the strongest...compared to a real floating shelf so I just wanted a little bit of organization and to get my books off the desk and spare sewing machine. I did put brackets under the "floating ends" of the upper shelves.

Here are the pictures of my mess now:

Last edited by debbysewn; 05-13-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: adding pictures
    Debby in Oklahoma