+ Reply to Thread

Red face sandy soil and tilting clothes lines

I have installed a metal clothes line in my yard - twice - each time using concrete for the footings. My probelm is that a good gust of wind will tilt the uprights because of the sandy soil. I could even pull the poles, concrete and all, out of the ground. I heard about a product - I think called "Big Foot" that may help. Any ideas on how I can remedy this to keep the darn poles straight and taught with blankets on them?
    thanks
    Last edited by Barb; 02-10-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: sandy soil and tilting clothes lines

I agree with the previous post I don't think you're getting a deep enough pillar of concrete. I would suggest you not only use the big foot but the pillar as well.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thumbs up Re: sandy soil and tilting clothes lines

I also agree.I would use a 12" sonotube about 4' long.This is what I used for my basketball goal with no problems.You can get them from the home depot.You will need to premix the concrete before pouring into the tube.Just dig the hole and place the tube in it.Then backfill around the tube with dirt/sand.Then pour the concrete and set your pole.You may need to brace the pole while the concrete sets up.

Default Re: sandy soil and tilting clothes lines

All good answers but if the soil is loose enough they might still leave you sagging. Concreting a post holds it by 'ballasting'; that is it becomes too heavy to move by the force applied. In the case of a known strain you can compensate better by creating a self-ballasting footing. For a clothesline in sand I would dig a rectangle twice as wide as the line and with 2 feet toward the other end as well as 4 feet away from it. It needn't be deep, two feet should suffice if that's deep enough to avoid frost heave. 3-4 inches of concrete will be enough for this base. While it's wet heap a dryer mix around the pole to a couple inches below ground level or use some kind of form to create this; this keeps the pole from breaking out of the main footing. Grass can also grow back around this which wouldn't be the case if it were at ground level. Once dry fill it back in and reseed the grass. The sand/soil will press down on this footing providing the extra ballast you need in loose soil which saves on concrete.

For side-strain footings like this a good place to look for ideas is Ham radio tower manufacturer's websites. Raised guy point footings have to hold a similar but much bigger load and they give overkill reccomendations for safety reasons. You won't have nearly the same strain but the same principles will apply. Also a falling clothesline is nowhere the safety problem a falling 200ft tower is!

MC