+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Ask This Old House on DVD

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was legal to sell copies of things recorded off the tv?
    I have every episode of Ask This Old House all complete 5 seasons 26 episodes each season and up to date on this years 6th season # 17 which I am recording right this moment. They are all burned on DVD from cable and all the commercials have been cut out which took a tremendous amount of time and planning. So far I am on my 19th DVD as I copy about 13 episodes on each DVD for space, quality is not that that of original dvd but better then VHS. I have so many dvd's because I started copying all the Inside This Old House series as they were aired and they don't air them in order so I recorded as then came on, I have 173 out of the 178 total aired shows. When it comes back on later this year I will get the remaining 5 and have them all.
    I have also created a library on my computer with descriptions of each episode so in the event I wanted to find a particular subject that I could find in on paper paper first then go to the correct DVD for reference.
    It has been a great resource for those who are self proclaimed handymen and/or just fans of the show like I am.
    I have a strong feeling it isn't legal but I have seen people sell DVD's of personal recordings from tv on EBay. I know this would generate a lot of interest since they only have season 1 available that I last looked.
    Just looking to get affirmation to what I believe is the answer..
    Thanks Bill

Default Re: Ask This Old House on DVD

You cannot sell them. The ability to profit from them goes solely to the creators of original material.

Quote Originally Posted by libcarp View Post
    You cannot sell them. The ability to profit from them goes solely to the creators of original material.
    I'm not a legal expert, but I'm pretty sure this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by BRycraft View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew if it was legal to sell copies of things recorded off the tv?
    I have every episode of Ask This Old House all complete 5 seasons 26 episodes each season and up to date on this years 6th season # 17 which I am recording right this moment. They are all burned on DVD from cable and all the commercials have been cut out which took a tremendous amount of time and planning. So far I am on my 19th DVD as I copy about 13 episodes on each DVD for space, quality is not that that of original dvd but better then VHS. I have so many dvd's because I started copying all the Inside This Old House series as they were aired and they don't air them in order so I recorded as then came on, I have 173 out of the 178 total aired shows. When it comes back on later this year I will get the remaining 5 and have them all.
    I have also created a library on my computer with descriptions of each episode so in the event I wanted to find a particular subject that I could find in on paper paper first then go to the correct DVD for reference.
    It has been a great resource for those who are self proclaimed handymen and/or just fans of the show like I am.
    I have a strong feeling it isn't legal but I have seen people sell DVD's of personal recordings from tv on EBay. I know this would generate a lot of interest since they only have season 1 available that I last looked.
    Thanks Bill
    I need your few DVD in 2009.contact me, please.

Quote Originally Posted by ahjung1956 View Post
    I need your few DVD in 2009.contact me, please.
    .contact me ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by BRycraft View Post
    Thanks Bill
    I'am interested in a few seasons please contact me @ my email haroldl1987@yahoo.com.. thanks hope to hear from u shortly

I am interested in a dvd that contains episode #806 that describes the installation of a hdtv antenna. I am willing to donate to you to cover your cost. Reply to J Douglas, 38107 Sumpter DR, Sterling Hts, MI. Thank you.