+ Reply to Thread

Default kohler clogs alot

We purchased the Kohler that is supposed to flush just about everything. It clogs up constantly. On the best of days it takes a good plunging to get it clear, on the worst of days, it takes a snake. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: kohler clogs alot

You can try adjusting the Styrofoam float on the pull chain so it is closer to the flapper, so it dumps more water., or just hold the handle down until the tank empties.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Could there be an obstruction down the line? Holding down the handle does not help. I know that initially, our shower did not drain b/c builder had let cement dry in the drain. The plumber they used was questionable... he did not understand why I could not deal with a toilet that was on a tilt!

It could be an obstruction or an improperly installed or missing vent. Or it could just be a defective toilet.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

How new is this toilet? 1.6 Gal units designed within the last couple years are 1000 times better than a 10 year old 1.6 Gal. If its brand new, then I would say its either defective somehow, clogged (who installed it? could something like eyeglasses or even a phone have gotten lodged at the top of the trap?) or else there is a problem downstream. Concrete in the pipe is scary, but what is the pipe made of, plastic, iron, other? Iron is awful, as all the TP & other stuff gets caught on the rust & burrs.
    I had a 1995 A. Std. 1.6 gal over iron 4" pipe & it clogged every day of the week. Put in a wax ring w/a 3" plastic flange & cut the clogs by about 1-2/week. Replaced the toilet w/a 2006 1-piece house brand from Home Depot & its clogged 2X over a year.