+ Reply to Thread

Default stair trim cap seperating from way in all staircases

Some background that may or may not be relevant. The townhouse was built in 1996. The row of townhouses backs up to an intermittent creek that runs parallel to the row about 50-75 feet away. There is one crack in the drywall starting from a top corner of the door frame and traversing the drywall diagonally up in an irregular line. There appears to be a small sinkhole (about 2 inches deep) about 10 feet from the rear of the house that is caused from poor water drainage (which I'll be fixing this summer). I haven't had a pro look at it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's from the poor grading.

Basically what appears to be happening is the caps on the stringers on each side of the stair cases are puling away from the walls. In some cases the caulk is separating b/n the cap and the wall and in other cases the caulk is separating b/n the cap and the stair's stringer.

Attached are some pics. Pics 1 and 2 are from the attic loft going to the bedroom level. Pics 3 and 4 are from the bedroom level to the main level.

In the next post I will post pics from the main level to the basement.

It appears as though the trim carpenters may have used copious amounts of bad caulk instead of fitting the caps well in the first place, but I am by no means an expert.

Any advise as to what this may be or what kind of professional I should consult would be helpful.

Respectfully,
    Christopher Taylor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	716  

Default Re: stair trim cap seperating from way in all staircases

Here are the pics going from the main level to the walk-out basement.

The first 2 pics show the cracks b/n the base caps and the stringer as well as cracks b/n the base caps and the wall. The third pic shows a relatively large gap b/n the base cap and the stringer that was filled in with caulk and no backer rod. The 4th pic shows separation b/n the base cap and both the stringer and the wall as well as separation b/n the vertical base cap and the wall (notice how the caulk is pulling off with some of the blue paint that was painted on top of it.

I'm guessing this is either shoddy carpentry or there is an issue related to the stairs which are all located directly above each other and have only 1 stringer on each side and nothing in the middle (for a 3ft wide stair case)

Any help would be appreciated .... I'm leaning towards just bad carpentry but a more educated opinion would be appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Christopher Taylor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	721