+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insulation

Default Insulation

Our home is now 2 yrs old, In cold temperatures we find that the baseboards in our bedroom become moist with dusty green mould forming, The basement is not insulated at all, would it help to insulate between the floor joists in the basement. Our humidity levels are normal, yet we have a lot of condensation on our windows, any suggestions would be appreciated.....Debbie

Default Re: Insulation

Debbie1949 .... the condensation that appears on the windows is a definite indication there is a humidity issue that is high enough for mold to start.

When you say the humidity is "normal" what level is it currently?
    If it's above 40% that's too high and enough for concern since there is mold in this case.

Insulating between the floor joist from the basement is really not going to do much in resolving this issue. The rim joist area may need attention for sealing any drafts and possibly some insulation added to those areas.

Also since you are seeing mold along the baseboard there may be air leakage along the floor wall junction behind the baseboards.

It sounds as though you have to seriously look at the humidity level ..... also take steps to reduce and control it.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by canuk; 02-09-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Hi there, the humidity level is showing 50% most of the time, I was told anything between 30 & 60 was ok. In the basement there is insulation all around the rim joists, how would I find out if there is air leakage behind the baseboard, and what could I do to stop it?

You can do several things. Use a smoke stick or match ,feather, something that flows in the air freely scan it by all the suspected areas. Or take the guess work out and use and Infrared thermal imaging person to scan the house . Here is a pic of infiltration around a window of a brand new 1.5 mill$ house.the quality of a house doesn't depend on the price you pay but the abilty of the cheapest crew they hire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR_0659.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	722  

Debbie ... that level of humidity would seem to be too high. Depending on the outside temperature the humidity level inside the home should decrease as the outside temps drop. Anywhere from 30%-40% would probably resolve the issues with condensation and probably the mold.

If you check the attached link there is some more detailed information .... I warn you it may be a little dry (pun ) reading.

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showt...4697#post14697

Food for thought.

Thanks for the info, I tried to use my dehumififier to lower the humidity, but it wont even run,the coils just ice up.We really dont want to install a air exchanger, so will have to find a way to reduce the humidity from 50 to 30 0r 40 to stop the condensation on the windows.

I have old windows in my home, and until I can replace them with the very expensive ones I want, this is what I've done to completely eliminate condensation on the windows. Using 1" square moulding, I built window frames which fit inside the existing window openings, shy one inch. I install cross pieces to keep the frames fairly rigid. These are not finish carpentry, I use hardward straps to hold everything together, but they could be made beautifully if one wished to. Then I use the thermal shrink wrap for windows, wrapping completely around the frames and taping edges as necessary. I warm the wrap so it shrinks gently. I line each edge with foam weather strip which both, and attach a couple of small drawer pulls to the cross pieces. Now I have a pop-in indoor storm window which holds itself into the window opening. No drafts, no condensation, and they do not look awful. This might buy you some time and comfort until you can figure out exactly what you need to do regarding your windows. best, M