+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up refinishing stairs

After years of wall to wall running down our stairway(the house built in the 60's)I've ripped up just the stairway to the basement. The wood looked great- so I've stripped and sanded etc. and almost ready to polyurethane- but the wood in the middle is darkened on the step as the previous owners must have had a runner years ago. I've tried tsp- not the results I wanted. I've resanded- It's not the end of the world- but I don't know if I can get rid of the darkened area or should just give it up- and put down new steps- the risers are done and look great! Any suggestions on getting rid of the darkened wood? Thanks in advance

Default Re: refinishing stairs

I just posted the same question today. However in my case of darken wood in the middle i suspect that it was caused by water seeped through the carpet and pad during the steam cleaning. Somebody responded with suggestion to bleach wood out or to try steel wool #1 with mineral spirits. i will try on weekend and will let you know.

Default Re: refinishing stairs

Mineral spirit applied with #3 steel wool and a lot of the elbow grease worked. Dark spots on my stairs diminished in darkeness by 50%!!