+ Reply to Thread

Default Removal of anode from gas hot water heater

I have a 5-year old gas hot water heater, approx. 40 gal. that I would like to remove/replace the anode for the purpose of extending the life of the heater. I have tried to loosen the hex nut on top of anode using a 1-1/16" socket equipped with handle and short length of pipe for leverage without success. If I push too hard, the hot water heater moves on concrete floor. I do not want to break anything but is there an easier way to remove anode than what I am doing? Lubricant, rust remover? I even had my plumber take a try at loosening the hex nut with short pipe on socket handle. He was not able to do so either. Any ideas or should I just forget it at this point? Please advise.

Jim

Default Re: Removal of anode from gas hot water heater

You could have a couple of things going on. First, sometimes an anode will react with dissimilar metals. Meaning the anode can weld itself with in the water heater. Second, Depending on your water quality you may have alot of calcium built up within the water heater. If your water heater is working just fine you might want to leave it as is for now and plan to install a tankless water heater when your goes out. Tankless units save alot of engery savings. Some even have rebate programs.
    Hope that helps.

Very possible that the nut has rusted in the threads and any attempt to force the situation could be bad . If it were me , I would try some Penetrating oil to see if that helps . Don't get too agressive with the wrench . You may just have to forget about replacing it .

Thanks very much for the comments/suggestions.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by atea View Post
    Thanks very much for the comments/suggestions.

Jim
    PB Blaster on the threads may help. Having said that, I never can break one of those rods lose.

I think you should leave it alone as well. If you really want to tear it up though you will need some help. take the cold supply and unthreadthe connection. do the same on the hot side. take off the draft hood and vent as well. Install two nipples, tighten them and use a long section of to apply force against your socket and breaker bar. Or you could use a heavy duty impact driver and first get the hex real hot with a torch dont melt it or anything. Let it cool off beforeyou break it loose. and I guarantee it will work or end up really bad

overall not worth the hassle.