+ Reply to Thread

Default Bolt holes too close together

I'm replacing a toilet in my girlfriend's basement, and the toilet she bought has the bolt holes drilled appx 1/2" too close together. I tried to slightly angle both bolts inward, but the difference is too great, and if one goes in straight, the other one is cocked at an angle that won't allow it to completely come through the hole. The toilet can't be returned, seeing that the girlfriend bought it at an auction, and knowing her she doesn't have any receipt for it. The bolts can't be placed any closer together than directly across from each other on the flange, and the flange is cast iron and fitted into the cement floor of the basement. My question... is there any way to safely drill the bolt holes a bit wider, to widen the gap between them, without cracking the porcelain, or an easy way to remove the flange and replace it with one that I can turn in such a way to move the bolts just a bit closer together? Or maybe another alternative I haven't thought of? Any help will be appreciated. Ken

Default Re: Bolt holes too close together

Thanks for the reply, and the idea of anchor bolts, DB, but the holes in the base of the toilet are so close to where the flange bolts sit, if I marked and drilled I'd end up drilling partly into the slots in the flange that the bolts slide in. How difficult would it be to remove the cast iron flange from the basement floor? I have no idea how it's attached to the drain, but it looks like it wouldn't be easy to get out. Would it be feasible to attach a new flange, turned so that one bolt could be slid in completely, and the other one held back a bit, reducing the distance between them? Right now I can't get the bolts any closer than directly across from each other. And if I did this, would the toilet sit squarely on the wax ring and over the drain? So close and yet so far.

Default Re: Bolt holes too close together

Thanks, DB. I'll definitely give this a shot this weekend.