+ Reply to Thread

Default Low Water Pressure

I have low water pressure. I am planning to trouble shoot it first myself before calling any contractor. Can any one advice me how I can get started. Thank you

Default Re: Low Water Pressure

rollersloft:

I wonder if you could provide more info.

Are you having low pressure in all the house fixtures, or just some of them.

Do you have well water with a pump & pressure regulator, or city water.

Is the main supply pipe made of copper, steel, etc., and what is its diameter.

Is this a recent occurance or a long-standing problem.

Is water supplied to your house as a one-family unit or multiple-unit.

Some garden depts. of HD/Lowes & others carry an inexpensive psi meter with a hose connection on it, which can be easily attached to an outside hose bib; the faucet is turned on to check the psi pressure.

PSI pressure for residential services varies from ~20 psi to 60 psi; a first step would be to check your house psi.

Don't ignore checking the main shutoff valve to make sure it's turned all the way on.

Even if the psi is ~50, which is typical of a residence, the FLOW RATE could be much below average if the main supply pipe is completely clogged with mineral deposits.

Or if you have well water & there's something wrong with the pump or pressure regulator equipment.

Google "house water pressure" (without the quotation marks) to get loads of sites that deal with this issue.

http://www.hometips.com/home_probsol...rsupply01.html
    http://www.irwd.com/WaterQuality/pressure.php
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 02-10-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Default Re: Low Water Pressure

Thanks for your time. I know few things and others I may need to find out.

Are you having low pressure in all the house fixtures, or just some of them.

The pressure is better on first floor but upstairs (2nd floor) pressure is low. So I think the pressure is low in all house fixtures.
    Do you have well water with a pump & pressure regulator, or city water.

Not sure however I think it is city water

Is the main supply pipe made of copper, steel, etc., and what is its diameter.

Copper. I do not know the diameter

Is this a recent occurance or a long-standing problem.

The water heater got installed in the basement. There is another water heater on 2nd floor and since then water pressure got even more lower on 2nd floor. Please note there is seperate water heater on 2nd floor. Long-standing problem however got little worst since the water heater was replaced in the basement

Is water supplied to your house as a one-family unit or multiple-unit.

It is one family unit.

Some garden depts. of HD/Lowes & others carry an inexpensive psi meter with a hose connection on it, which can be easily attached to an outside hose bib; the faucet is turned on to check the psi pressure. PSI pressure for residential services varies from ~20 psi to 60 psi; a first step would be to check your house psi.

I will probably look for it

Don't ignore checking the main shutoff valve to make sure it's turned all the way on.

The main shut off valve did not completely close. When water heater was install I was trying to close it. I close all the way however water still come out.

Even if the psi is ~50, which is typical of a residence, the FLOW RATE could be much below average if the main supply pipe is completely clogged with mineral deposits.

Possible.
    Last edited by rollersloft; 02-11-2008 at 12:34 PM.