+ Reply to Thread

Question How could I get a log cabin feeling indoors?

I don't want tongue and groove on the walls but I would like to have a wood of some kind on the walls to give us that log cabin feel.

I have found some "logs" they're real wood veneer over a half round of rigid foam and I'm thinking about using that outside if I can figure out how to attach it to the walls.

So what would you use?

How would you attach it?

Keep in mind, all the artwork needs to go back on the walls and needs to be easy to cut on the angle to go all the way to the ceiling.

Last edited by debbysewn; 02-08-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: adding photos
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: How could I get a log cabin feeling indoors?

The fake logs would be difficult to use.They are easy to install with panel adhesive,but it requires extra trimwork around the doors and windows.You will also have trouble around the wall switches and outlets.You also have to deal with inside and outside corners.How about plybead or T-111.Or do you not like the look of tounge and groove.T-111 has a rough surface and looks great with paint or stain.The plybead has a smoother finish.They both come in 4X8 sheets.They are easier to trim around and cut out the electric outlets.They can be attached to the sheetrock with panel adhesive and finish nails.

I'm trying to avoid adhesives inside. I'm also hoping to avoid long vertical lines. I know I could hang these panels sideways, I'm looking for a more random length and width look.

I'm thinking I may just use plywood to look like planks of freshly cut wood and treat it with something to give us a warm finish. If I cut it with a jig saw then it won't be perfectly straight and I could stuff something in between the imperfect edges.

I'm just unsure about screwing it into the studs, and covering the screws
    Debby in Oklahoma

Maybe you could find some rough sawn 1X6.Try a local lumberyard.It should be cheaper than dimentional lumber.If you use finish nails,a little wood putty will fill the holes just fine.Than apply your stain.

The vaulted family room in my house came finished with rough cut 1x12 douglas fir with 3/4x3 battens installed vertically. While it does look rustic and doesn't look bad, I'm not in love with it. It's just a little too rough for me & I have been wondering if I could sand it a bit without making a complete mess. Given all the other work I have, I know it will never happen.
    Anyway, no need to fill nail holes with the rough sawn lumber & no stain or sealer. Except for one or two splits in the wood with adds to the character, it has turned a light to medium wood tone from the light.

I like the board and batten look,but have never seen it installed horizontaly.It may not be a bad option though.It would be a better way to fill the joints.If you want to smooth it out,I would rent a sheetrock sander that hooks to a shopvac.It will still be dusty,but will catch most of the dust.Always put plastic over the door openings to minimize the mess.Don,t forget to cover or move the furniture.

You could try faux painting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faux_windows_with_bars.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	724  

If you want a real rustic cabin look, you could always go to a lumber mill and buy slabs. Slabs are the first cut they make on logs to square it up to cut lumber. It still has the bark on it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

awesome information everyone now I know what to ask for at the saw mill and at the lumber yard. Faux painting was something I never considered and my husband loved the battens idea because we have vertical board and batten on the outside.

I have the terms I need so I can really spend that tax return.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I just sold my log cabin and only the outside walls are log. The inside walls are either dry wall or cedar tongue and groove, which you can buy and install horizontal, or vertical like I did down in the lower level...just to give it more height and a different look. You can then stain or let it darken by itself.