+ Reply to Thread

Default Faucets turning the wrong way

I hired a handyman to fix my leaky bathroom faucets - sink and tub. He fixed the leaks, but put the lever-style handles on so they turn in the opposite direction than they did before. On the sink, for example, they used to start pointing out (9:00 and 3:00) and turn down (toward 6:00). Now they point out and turn up (toward 12:00). He did the same thing in the tub. He's telling me faucets only turn in one direction and you can't reverse the direction that the manufacturer made them. I think he just switched the hot and cold handles.

I'm done with this handyman! Are the handles switched right for left, and can I change them back myself? Thanks for any advice.

Trish

Default Re: Faucets turning the wrong way

As he was only fixing a leak I doubt he removed the entire faucet. The more likely scenario is that these are cartridge type faucets and when he replace the washers he turn the cartridges when he installed them. If that is the case you only need to pull the cartridge, turn it 180 degrees and reinstall it. By the way the two cartridges are the same. I hope this drawing from Delta faucet helps.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-07-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yes he did replace the cartridges. The hot is still on the left, cold on the right. Both handles point toward the side for off, but now they turn back toward the wall for on, instead of turning toward the basin. Does that sound like the handles are switched?

Trish

Quote Originally Posted by Trish118 View Post
    Yes he did replace the cartridges. The hot is still on the left, cold on the right. Both handles point toward the side for off, but now they turn back toward the wall for on, instead of turning toward the basin. Does that sound like the handles are switched?

Trish
    No, both handles and both cartridges are identical except for the label on the handle. It means he inserted the cartridges wrong. They will need to be removed and turned 180 degrees and re installed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thumbs up Re: Faucets turning the wrong way

The sink problem was exactly as you described it: the cartridges were installed the wrong way and just had to be turned 180 degrees. In the tub, the cartridges were a little different - they could be seated pointing in a number of directions, and we just had to turn them around till we had them oriented properly. All fixed now. Thanks for your help.
    Trish