+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default cypress planked walls

What is the best way to cover cypress planked walls?? We are restoring a house built in 1924 and do not want to use sheetrock. Is there another material we could use to cover the walls with before hanging wallpaper?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: cypress planked walls

are you sure you want to cover them? if it is that they have darkened with age maybe look at refinishing them. valuable thing you have there

Sheet rock is about all you can find unless you want to hang paneling, furniture grade plywood would give you a wallpaper smooth surface but it's going to be as expensive as sheet rock.

I agree with Havanagranite, you have a valuable wall treatment, covering it would be a shame.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    Sheet rock is about all you can find unless you want to hang paneling, furniture grade plywood would give you a wallpaper smooth surface but it's going to be as expensive as sheet rock.

I agree with Havanagranite, you have a valuable wall treatment, covering it would be a shame.
    Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately we need to cover these walls. My grandfather built this house and got most of the wood from other structures being torn down. Some of the planks have stenciling on them and some are painted.

Quote Originally Posted by jagsryder View Post
    Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately we need to cover these walls. My grandfather built this house and got most of the wood from other structures being torn down. Some of the planks have stenciling on them and some are painted.
    only you can make that call, but paint and others can be sanded off but if this isn't an option, then you could cover it with half inch drywall and finish as normal. or you might think of removing these boards and then putting up the drywall, the price you can probally sell these boards for will probally pay for your drywall, good money in salvaged wood these days especially if the cypress boards have some width to them.

You may want to check cypress pricing on line, you might have a **** mine there.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb