+ Reply to Thread

Default Wallpaper over plaster

I just purchased a home built in 1925, the entire house is wallpaper floor to ceiling over plaster. I want to paint all walls. I have started removing some paper in the dining room and it looks like I have 3 layers of decor paper w/ liner paper in between (total of 6). The house has never had A/C so very little climate control...I am not having any problems removing the majority of the paper as it is crumbling below the top layer. My questions are: How do I remove the drywall mud that was used to patch cracks in the wallpaper(not the plaster, cracks in the wallpaper) this is in between layers of wallpaper. And how do I patch the holes in the plaster? Previous patches were made w/ a primed artist canvas looking material,or cotton sheeting, mud was smoothed on edges to get it looking smooth? I found an old lightswitch hole and access to the steam heat pipes done this way. Below the chair rail I have the canvas stuff painted several times...I don't think I will need to remove it. Maybe glue down some edges. And last question (for now), I'm seeing different opinions on this one...do I use water to remove the last tissue paper thin layer on the plaster or wallpaper remover or steam. Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Wallpaper over plaster

Question #1. Drywall mud is water soluble. A sponge, warm water, and a little elbow grease will remove it.The patching material of choice is a lime putty/gauging plaster mix plasterers use. In lieu of using that mixture you might try a time setting joint compound like durabond or similar. Use water (or steam) to remove the last bits of your wallpaper on the plaster. The water is easy to handle and cleans up nice and will do no harm to your plaster...R

Default Re: Wallpaper over plaster

The hole for the steam pipe is about 10"x10", and the light switch hole is 3x4" and will need somthing for the durabond to stick to, the lathe is gone too, that's what they used the cotton sheeting for. I've patched drywall before but not plaster...