+ Reply to Thread

Question wainscot on outside corners

I am installing wainscot on a living room wall and would like some advise as to what I do when one wall ends that's butted up to another that I am not applying wainscot. Also, doing outside corners with beaded wainscot that can not be cut with a mister saw. Would I use a small trim on the corners to cover up where the wainscot meets? I know this is suppose to be easy but I want the corners to look right. I would appreciate any advise from anyone who has encountered this problem. Thank you!

Default Re: wainscot on outside corners

Use a piece of scribe molding such as that you see on your kitchen cabinets. A small quarter round will also work.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Use a piece of scribe molding such as that you see on your kitchen cabinets. A small quarter round will also work.
    Thank you. Would that interfere with the chair rail and baseboard? I can see how that would work on the outside corner. As for the wall that meets another wall without wainscot, I can't picture how that would work and be flush. I hope I'm explaining this right or someone can picture what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by remodeling; 02-07-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: update

For outside corners you use an outside corner molding. For inside corners, a piece of scribe molding would only be about 1/8" x 3/4" and would not affect the base or the chair rail because those horizontal moldings will dead end into the abutting wall. The scribe will go between the base and chair rail.

If you are going to be painting the wainscot, then you can just caulk the corner where it abutts the adjacent wall.

Try googling images of wainscot until you find a treatment that you find acceptable, and copy that.

Yea I tried googling it but all the pics weren't clear as to what they used on the corners and the books I have did not address the outside corners. I appreciate all your help. Thank you!

Another route would be to Google Image for different types of mouldings and see what you come up with. I've got catalogs from local suppliers, One of those suppliers has a showroom with cubicles decorated with various trims in "real world" applications, so you can see exactly what kinds of effects you'd get from your efforts. You may have a similar supplier in your area.

Look in the phone book under doors and/or millwork. Many door suppliers also carry a full line of trim and molding. You can get catalogs as well as samples of what you might like.

My house has mitered corners on the wainscoting, chair rail, and baseboard.

Debby in Oklahoma