+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brick patio/driveway sections - WEEDS!

Our home has a fairly large brick patio in the back - about 20 x 40. We also have brick accent strips along the edges of our concrete driveway and a brick parking area to the side of the driveway. I would estimate that the brick has been down for at least 30 years.

With the exception of the parking area which is sagging a bit due to the weight of vehicles parked on it and needs to be redone, all of the remaining brick is nice and level and quite attractive.

What drives me absolutely crazy are the weeds in the summer. I have tried pretty much every home center product I can find to no avail. Sure, the weed die off after the application, but they are back before the next weekend rolls around.

I know the real solution to the problem, but I don't really want to rip up the entire patio and reinstall. Has anyone found a product that works reliably?

Default Re: Brick patio/driveway sections - WEEDS!

There is nothing you can do that will permanently eradicate weeds. A solid surface such as concrete will help, however over time weeds can get into cracks and expansion joints and still be the bane of your existence. This was my solution. We've got 3 chicken, 3 dogs, and 2 cats, we don't like using herbicides so we decided to try a weed torch. Here is a review I wrote on my torch and it's results. IMHO, burning lasted longer than with herbicide, without the toxic effects of chemicals.

http://www.softwindz.com/torch/torch.html

Love it! I will definitely get one of those and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There is nothing you can do that will permanently eradicate weeds. A solid surface such as concrete will help, however over time weeds can get into cracks and expansion joints and still be the bane of your existence. This was my solution. We've got 3 chicken, 3 dogs, and 2 cats, we don't like using herbicides so we decided to try a weed torch. Here is a review I wrote on my torch and it's results. IMHO, burning lasted longer than with herbicide, without the toxic effects of chemicals.

http://www.softwindz.com/torch/torch.html
    I appreciate you indepth discription. I have always wondered why it didn't regenerate from the roots

I'm glad that you guys found the review helpful. If you have any questions, just ask.

I've never have gotten around to updating the results, I guess I should. The weeds pictured have never come back in that gravel area. I should probably also update the contact link, since the old forum is no longer being used.

Has anyone here installed brick accent strips on concrete driveway? I want to undertake it, but am curious about the process of setting the new brick into the openings I plan to cut.

You can do that but the strips are normally set into a recessed area of ceement, so there is a very good base.

Cutting the slab isn't the problem, breaking out the ceement and disturbing the base is where the issues start. The narrow trench is difficult to work in. You'll need to dig deeply to construct a series of layers of stone and gravel strong enough to support the weight of a veehickle. Can be done, but a daunting task.

how deep you think? Sand, then gravel, then mortar?

Can I send you private messages?

You need one of the weed killers that contain chemicals which prevent new weed seeds from germinating. If you kill the weeds with a systemic weed killer, the new weeds are not coming back from old roots. They are coming from seeds which are newly germinating.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinapaint View Post
    how deep you think? Sand, then gravel, then mortar?

Can I send you private messages?
    For compact cars, not RVs and heavy trucks, dig down enough to allow compacting, 4"-5" gravel, 4" sand and the height of the bricks (the larger the better). Around 10"-12" for common bricks.