+ Reply to Thread

Default Re-Tile on an older home.

Hi all. This is such a great forum. Great advice.
    For those of you who haven't read my previous posts, I'm working on an early 40's cape cod style house. I'm starting to re-search having my bathroom re-tiled. It has one layer of tiles through out the hole thing, and I'd like to update it. It's plaster over metal lathe.

I've been told by some that they wouldn't want to deal with demolishing the old tile, and re-plastering the walls. It's a small bathroom about 4.5 x 8 feet. So I'm curious about what you'd suggest for the job.

One friend said he'd tile over it for 5 bucks a foot, another said he'd demo and retile for $500 + the cost of materials.

Which way would you go? Re-tile or tile over on a limited budget? Are there any other projects that I should do while This is in progress? Maybe update the valves on the shower? or...?

The place is fairly original except at some point they added an outlet on a different circuit from the light..

If you're a contractor, what would you bid on a job like this? The tile on one 8 foot wall is 4 ft high, and then the tub side is 6ft or so tall...

Default Re: Re-Tile on an older home.

Quote Originally Posted by JCphotog View Post
    Hi all. This is such a great forum. Great advice.
    For those of you who haven't read my previous posts, I'm working on an early 40's cape cod style house. I'm starting to re-search having my bathroom re-tiled. It has one layer of tiles through out the hole thing, and I'd like to update it. It's plaster over metal lathe.

I've been told by some that they wouldn't want to deal with demolishing the old tile, and re-plastering the walls. It's a small bathroom about 4.5 x 8 feet. So I'm curious about what you'd suggest for the job.

One friend said he'd tile over it for 5 bucks a foot, another said he'd demo and retile for $500 + the cost of materials.

Which way would you go? Re-tile or tile over on a limited budget? Are there any other projects that I should do while This is in progress? Maybe update the valves on the shower? or...?

The place is fairly original except at some point they added an outlet on a different circuit from the light..

If you're a contractor, what would you bid on a job like this? The tile on one 8 foot wall is 4 ft high, and then the tub side is 6ft or so tall...
    Personally, I wouldn't tile over due to, loss of cubic footage and possibility of improper adhesion of new tiles thus requiring near future repairs. That's a precarious methodology in my book.

It depends what you want to put into it with respect to time and money.

As I see it, if maintaining the original construction methods are important to you then remove tile while trying to salvage as much of the existing wall system as possible (plaster & lathe) if not possible then you're looking at having the plastering job re-done. Then re-tile, re-grout and seal.

I myself think it's better to do the following: Tear all the existing tile and lathe/plaster out, screw (don't like nail pops) up some 1/2" wonderboard where tiles are to be placed and 1/2" blue/green-board (moisture{mold** resistant drywall) where tiles are not to be placed.

Note: There is also a paperless drywall product out there as well. (the paper is the food for mold growth)

Tape and mud all the drywall insuring you fill the void between the two materials (blue/green-board and wonderboard).

Using thinset, apply all the tiles except the last row at the blue/green-board/wonderboard border. Here, I insure the last course of tiles straddle this boarder and use a mastic instead, but you could use thinset here as well.

Note: It's important to consider this over lap of tiles at the blue/green-board/wonderboard border when cutting and placing these two different wallboards. So calculate your tile layout dimensions and cut the wonderboard so that it's edge will be straddled by the last course of tiles.

Then re-grout and seal the tiles and paint drywall with a nice semi-gloss latex paint.

Job complete, and this job will last.

Well I hope this is food for thought.

Good Luck,

Joe
    Last edited by JosephBrian; 02-11-2008 at 02:48 PM.
    A wise man once said: "In an unknown universe, it's a fool that believes his conclusions are definitive."

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I don't think the house has historical relevance of any sort, so I don't mind using newer methods.

I wasn't to hot about the idea of tiling over the walls. I've seen a lot of folks re-tile over the floors, but the walls seemed like the wrong way to go about things.

The only thing that really makes it difficult is that it's the only bathroom in the house. So that means moving out for a few days..

It seems like the demo job would be pretty difficult since The wall is quite thick. A number of layers of plaster and mud there.

What would you charge for a job like that?

The only thing that really makes it difficult is that it's the only bathroom in the house. So that means moving out for a few days..
    If it were my home I'd do it in sections, depending on time.

I'd start with the bathub area:

You could have the bathtub area demo'd, new plumbing fixtures (shower head and valve) roughed and usable over the weekend if you used a thin coat of thinset over each of the seams of the wonderboard. If splashed water will not hurt the dried thinset/wonderboard. Just keep it to a minimum because you don't want soap scum to seal the concretes pores, decreasing the bond between the tile and the cement. Actually you should be able to complete all the tile courses on the second day.

Just bathe and change your sheets sunday evening.

It seems like the demo job would be pretty difficult since The wall is quite thick. A number of layers of plaster and mud there.
    Small sledge and crowbar should make it quick. Just insure you protect your porcelain/plastic/fiberglass with some old blankets and cardboard before you start. And don't get to radical and accidentally take out a stud. I found that using the claw of the crowbar to pierce the plaster and lightly tapping on the wall in various places gradually increasing your power until it cracks is a good method. Once you've located and isolated the first stud it usually goes pretty quick. Have some aircraft shears or large tin snips to cut the lathe as you go. Of course you'll ultimately remove the fasteners that hold it to the studs but they do come in handy.

What would you charge for a job like that?
    That's funny, I appreciate your vote of confidence, I could always use the extra cash, but I'm really not ready to travel. Also I've never really thought about it. My experience has been remodeling my home, helping my father build 2 homes, and a small amount (very small) of doing it professionally many years ago.

Sorry & Good Luck,

Joe
    A wise man once said: "In an unknown universe, it's a fool that believes his conclusions are definitive."

Have a similar project I am doing in my home. A reciprocating saw with a bi metal blade along the grout lines will help to get the tile out in larger chunks. Where that won't work just think of it as "stress relief therapy" as you wield a pry bar. Ear protection is a must. I would try a bit yourself and see if you can save on doing the demo and put the $ into the finished product.