+ Reply to Thread

Default crown molding saw

On a old program of this old house Tom show a saw that could cut the cope and the miter at the same time. IT was a miter saw. If anyone know what this saw was I would like to know
    Thank you

Default Re: crown molding saw

Howdy you are referring to a compound miter saw.

No on this show tom show a saw that cut the miter for a inside corner in one pass it was not a compound miter saw. thank for the reply

I think you might be over doing the Holiday eggnog.

I don't see how any saw could do such a thing. I do agree that it was most likely a compound miter and he still had to cope the crown to meet the other.

Don't know what show you watched? He cut the miter with a miterbox saw and then used a hand held old fashion "coping-saw" to complete the coped miter joint- no modern miter saw can cut the miter & the cope - it's impossible! The angle of the cope follows the profile of what ever your crown moulding you are using - they vary too much to have one miterbox saw accomplish this task

very true, you can make inside mitres on a dcms butnot cope at the same time

there are a variety of saws that you can cope with. personally i gave up the coping hand saw years ago, i primarily use a jigsaw or for more of a back cut ill freehand on the table saw. a few years back i used a specialized jig for a trim router which requires a 2 part resin which makes a negative profile of the trim then using a 1/4" flush cut bit you simply run the router along the blank.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

i saw that episode a few years ago. actually it was so long ago that i forget how it worked or what it was called but it was pretty cool.

I remember the episode too and just did a search for it and found it is called a Copemaster. I pretty much remember it as being a device that cut the cope similar to the way a key is cut at the hardware store. You actually had to do one cope cut by hand and use that as your guide so the first one pretty much had to be perfect. It is $2,295 so I'm guessing that is why it is not widely used and not to many people have seen it. I suppose if it worked and you were a finish carpenter it might be worth it but if you just have a few rooms or even only one house a good coping saw and blades will do the trick for you.

Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

one thing to take into consideration is if this machine only copes the trim at 90 deg.. meaning square to the trim on the face. in older homes the floors and ceilings arent level which means the face cut has to be 1 deg sometimes 2 1/2 deg so that the trim meets up perfectly with the adjoining peice.. if not this extremely peice of equipment is nothing more than a waste of money. precisely why i prefer a jigsaw or table saw over the router jig i mentioned earlier. it only works for square face cuts
    fire up the saw and make some dust