+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: furnace burners not lighting

Thank you very much for all you went through to post a solution for us. I am not tackling anything like that. I have a friend who has some knowledge about furnaces and he came over last night and says it is either one of 2 things, the transformer or the gas valve. But I am also going to print your response out to him in case he didn't think of that. I really appreciate yours and others help on the site. I hope to have heat before the 2 degree temp gets here. Thanks again.

Wendy --- you're welcome.
    Let us know how things work out.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Well, my friend was here and he tested the transformer and said it showed 24 volts. But when he checked the gas valve it didn't show anything going to that. So he is at a loss and suggesting I might have to get a new furnace. He said it seems to be in one of those little boxes by the transformer and he doesn't know if that part can be purchased anymore. I have no idea how to look for a part I don't even know the name of.

Well, my friend was here and he tested the transformer and said it showed 24 volts. But when he checked the gas valve it didn't show anything going to that.
    The only time 24 volts would be present at the valve solenoid ......

when both the thermostat calls for heat and the " Fan/Limiter " ( described earlier ) is in a ready state.

In other words if the " Fan/Limiter " is faulty it will interrupt the 24volt electrical circuit to the valve not allowing the solenoid to open the gas flow to the burners..... even though the thermostat is calling for heat.

Of course this is assuming the furnace was working one day and then suddenly this problem showed up. Also if there hadn't been any wiring or thermostat changes.

So he is at a loss and suggesting I might have to get a new furnace. He said it seems to be in one of those little boxes by the transformer and he doesn't know if that part can be purchased anymore.
    While I'm not familiar what components exist with your particular furnace, the units with standing pilot lights generally don't have much in the way of safety interlocks ( Fan/Limiter being one ) or electronic controls compared to current units.
    The " box " may simply be a junction box for all the wires and connections.

So he is at a loss and suggesting I might have to get a new furnace.
    Perhaps it's time to call in a professional to troubleshoot and evaluate your existing furnace.
    As mentioned earlier with a unit that old it would be a good idea to have the heat exchanger checked for cracks.

If the exchanger is fine and the cost to repair is reasonable then it's up to you whether or not a new furnace is warranted. However, the furnace you have now is not very efficient ---- likely 60-70% which means 40 - 30 cents for each dollar of fuel is going up in smoke.

2 cents worth.
    - Rush

That is what I was trying to explain to my friend. But he said that he turned that fan\limiter by hand and it kicked the blower on and that is why he doesn't believe that is the problem. I got a hold of a service man and he will be here in the morning. He mentioned the same things you did. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy R View Post
    That is what I was trying to explain to my friend. But he said that he turned that fan\limiter by hand and it kicked the blower on and that is why he doesn't believe that is the problem. I got a hold of a service man and he will be here in the morning. He mentioned the same things you did. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    That sounds like a good plan at this stage to have a professional test things.
    Let us know how you make out ---- fingers crossed.
    - Rush

The service man was here. YAY, I have heat. It was the thermostat. He came in, plugged something to my furnace and in seconds said it was the thermostat. $100.00 later, we had a new thermostat and a very warm home.How lucky was I? My friend kept going to the thermostat and I kept telling him that it was a brand new one put in last year so he let it go. It is a digital Honeywell. I got at Menards. The serviceman said that the ones sold in stores are not always good because of the way they get tossed and thrown around at the store. So I want to thank you guys on here for your concern and help. I learned a lot about furnaces from you that may help me in the future. I now know how to change a gas valve and thermocouple. I love this site. Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool (Or rather warm) Wendy. Must say you got a great deal at $100.00 bucks as well.

Great stuff and a $100 is pretty good.

Strange about the thermostat --- with the numerous thermostats i've been around haven't seen one fail causing that issue ---- including cheap China ones.
    You learn something new everyday.
    - Rush