+ Reply to Thread

Default how to finish off end of wood handrail

I am installing a wood hand rail going from main floor to lower floor. The end of the handrail would be visible--say when entering the front door. Should the end of the hand rail be just plain or finished off more decoratively? Thanks for your suggestions.

Default Re: how to finish off end of wood handrail

It kind of depends on the style of the handrail. Most I've seen just stop, showing the end grain of the rail. On occasion I've seen a slight downward return installed so as to "hide" the end grain from view.

most often I've see the end of the hand rail with a routed edge like the rest of the rain.

I have seen lots of "returns" too, the little block that fits between the wall and the hand rail, mitered at a 45 degree angle.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I agree with everything ASC2078 said.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: how to finish off end of wood handrail

do a return to the wall looks best cut 45 degree you can use glue and a pocket hole screw if you have that jig or 2p10 fast setting glue 8 seconds and its done. probably if not professional do not have that either 45 bucks for the can and glue. well hold it for 20 minutes!