+ Reply to Thread

Default hard to move windows

Had an addition built and we re-used some double hungs as well as purchased some new ones. All of these windows are very hard to open or close. And the used ones previously were fine.

Can anyone tell me what the contractor probably did wrong? And is there any way to improve the situation?

Thanks,
    Jim

Default Re: hard to move windows

1]When he installed the windows , he may have shimmed them to tight. It's probably better to be a little tight than to loose. You may be able to loosen the shims.

2] He may have used expanding foam to insulate around the windows which expanded and is forcing the sides in against the sashes. You might be able to cut some of the foam out next to the window.

You might try rubbing some paraffin in the tracks.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you for the ideas. The windows are only stained. Plumb and all. I think the guy just made them really tight. As taking the casing off and getting deeper into the situation is not a project with high priority at the moment, I guess I'll try some lubrication.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Do you know who manufactured the windows? Some have had a problem w/ weatherstrip.