+ Reply to Thread

Default Crawl space question

Hi,

I purchased a 25 year old house about three month ago (boiler + BB heaters) and my heating costs are through the roof! I have asked around and most people with the same SQF as mine are paying about 50% less than what I'm paying so there's something definitely wrong here.

The house is a bungalow with an unvented/ unheated crawl space, about 2700 sqf and concrete walls and floor in the crawl space. There are no insulations in the walls and the floor and only minimum insulation around pipes and such in the CS ceiling. I have limited money so I need to pick and choose carefully what to do to bring my heating costs down. I have taken the most logical steps (prevent drafts, instal programmable thermostats, reduce the temperature by 2 degrees and shutdown the zones not in use at night/ while at work during the day with almost no effect.

My options are:
    - Replace the furnace (a 20 years old one which works fine).
    - Insulate the crawl space
    - declare bankruptcy and freeze to death!

So here are my questions:

- Can insulating the CS ceiling make a huge impact? If yes what should I do, ceiling or walls and floor as well?
    - Can replacing the boiler make a huge impact?

I have money to do only one of these and not both. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Default Re: Crawl space question

Put it this way-Insulation requires no maintenance or service calls and will last a long time.If your furnace dies unless its a cracked can be repaired for $$ however much it cost .If you insulate- in a year the savings on your bill will help you pay for a new heating system which will be a smaller one than you need after you insulate. So if your heat is working than insulate and it will work less and be worth more in the long run.
    Don't forget your attic access and outlets they add up to more than you think..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attic door with missing insulation on a cold day.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	696  

Thanks for the advice John. Should I then go with insulating the crawl space ceiling - aka floors - or the CS walls only? Also, what kind of material should I use?

Thx.

Put batting in between the floor beams loosely and the walls aren't going to hurt to put on foam board and plastic on the dirt floor.Without vents in the crawl you might have condensation in the summer.If you do, you may need ti install vents or a dehumidification system.
    Don't worry about information this crowd is very eager to help.
    and without bias to products.
    this pic if of a crawl with leaking ductwork and raw walls.
    the lack of insulation is dramatic and does make a difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR_0670.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	705  

Thanks again John. I'm trying to find a place to buy cheap batt from. :-)

What kind of batting would you recommend? With paper backing or without? What method works best to keep it up and in place?

Quote Originally Posted by benji View Post
    Hi,

I purchased a 25 year old house about three month ago (boiler + BB heaters) and my heating costs are through the roof! I have asked around and most people with the same SQF as mine are paying about 50% less than what I'm paying so there's something definitely wrong here.

The house is a bungalow with an unvented/ unheated crawl space, about 2700 sqf and concrete walls and floor in the crawl space. There are no insulations in the walls and the floor and only minimum insulation around pipes and such in the CS ceiling. I have limited money so I need to pick and choose carefully what to do to bring my heating costs down. I have taken the most logical steps (prevent drafts, instal programmable thermostats, reduce the temperature by 2 degrees and shutdown the zones not in use at night/ while at work during the day with almost no effect.

My options are:
    - Replace the furnace (a 20 years old one which works fine).
    - Insulate the crawl space
    - declare bankruptcy and freeze to death!

So here are my questions:

- Can insulating the CS ceiling make a huge impact? If yes what should I do, ceiling or walls and floor as well?
    - Can replacing the boiler make a huge impact?

I have money to do only one of these and not both. Thanks in advance for all the help!
    closed cell spray foam will help you a lot