+ Reply to Thread

Default Mixing galvanized steel pipe and PEX - possible?

I understand that PEX for radiant heat should have an oxygen barrier so that ferrous materials in the radiant heat plumbing won't rust. An oxygen barrier is not necessary only if your radiant heat system is 100% iron-free.

So, that fact possibly translates to and interferes with my idea to replace some of my galvanized steel pipe plumbing system with PEX during a bathroom remodel. I would just use PEX with an oxygen barrier, but I don't think any such PEX is rated for potable use.

Maybe oxygen barriers are needed in radiant only because the water is constantly reused. Perhaps it's not an issue in supply plumbing, where the water is always "new" water.

I'd appreciate any insights that you all may have.

Memphis, not Egypt

Default Re: Mixing galvanized steel pipe and PEX - possible?

Does the PEX need th Oxygen barrier or is it the ferrous pipe that needs the O2 barrier . Seems like its the Fe pipe. Saw a new post today about epoxy lining and that may be your ticket. I believe what you are saying because the PEX carries some static charge (I'm told) ergo electrolosis would damage the FE pipe. notsure about PEX but I know that PE underground gas pipe definitely does carry a high static charge.