+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replacement Windows

I only have 10 windows to replace in my home, all are double hung except for this one large un-openable picture window.
    How do I measure for replacement windows to make sure I order windows that fit?
    Are there good resources for ordering replacement windows?
    I'm interested in doing this myself, any tips, or sites with step-by-step instructions?

Default Re: Replacement Windows

Check this link to see if it helps you.
    http://www.swisco.com/Screen/guide_vinyl_window

Also, you may want to check with the manufacturer to see what kind of warranty you'll have if you install them yourself. I've heard of stories where people's warranties have been voided when the manufacturer found out that the windows were not installed by a authorized installer. Just FYI.

Thanks for that info! Yes, that's very helpful! I didn't know how easy or hard it was.
    We'd like to get Andersen windows, so we'll check with the distributor that we're purchasing from. Not sure what the difference would be having a general contractor come do it vs. doing it ourselves though - I can't imagine all general contractors are authorized installers.

Most likely the window will have an authorized installer. Even big companies like Andersen look for wasy to welch out of warranty repairs so it might be better to have an authorized installer do the work. Plus, if ther break something they have to fix it, not you.

Cool Re: Replacement Windows

Just a word of warning. If you end up having a professional install your windows. Make sure you read the fine print. NOT what the salesman tells you. I was having a difficult time deciding if I wanted vinyl vs wood/clad windows. The salesman convinced me that vinyl would be the way to go. I had Sears install my windows a couple of years ago with the understanding from the salesman that if I did not like them there was a 100% satisfaction guarantee. What a joke. They were also overpriced. I did not like them, but I still have them needless to say. It pays to check around and get several different estimates. Good luck! First time home buyer.

Chief, I have been installing Andersen Windows for over 30 years, and have nothing but praise for them. they have never failed to make good on a warranty issue (although I have had very few problems. Replacement parts are also readily available, such as casement window operating mechanisms, double-hung window balancers, knobs, locks, cranks, etc. Try locating replacement parts for that off-brand bargain window bought down at the local lumberyard 5 years ago.

dseep, it is an unreasonable expectation to think that a manufacturer would take back their custom-made windows just because you changed your mind after they were installed. Vinyl windows and vinyl clad wood windows each have their advantages & disadvantages. It is your responsibility as a consumer to weigh them against each other & make a decision. The vinyl windows that you decided you don't like would be the right choice for a wet location, such as a shower.
    HTH

Dave

Dave357 - how hard is it for a "handy" person to install windows themselves? Is it something a do-it-yourselfer could do? Or would you recommend I have my contractor measure, order and install. We really like the Andersen windows we've put in so far (in doing renovations on bathroom and kitchen), so we'd like to continue with Andersen if we can.

What is the difference between vinyl and vinyl clad wood?

Installing replacement windows is a good do-it-yourself project. The windows that I'm referring to are the ones that are installed into your existing window frames, leaving your existing interior & exterior trim in place. Your existing window frames must be in sound condition. After you've installed the first unit, you'll probably spend 1-2 hours each on the rest. The hardest part is removing the existing window stops without breaking them. Most replacement window manufacturers have good instructions on how to measure & install their windows, so the average DIY'er shouldn't have any problems.

Replacing a primary window unit is a bit more challenging. It would be rare to find a new (stock size) window that is exactly the same size as your old window, so you will probably need to redo the interior & exterior trim, and possibly need to patch some siding and/or drywall or plaster. The degree of difficulty depends on how close to the original size your new windows are, what type of siding you have, what type of trim you have, first floor windows or third floor windows, your skill level, etc. Sometimes they're challenging...sometimes they're easy. Remember that a window that is an inch or two smaller is easier to install than a window that is an inch or two larger. A larger window means that you'll need to open up enough wall to reframe the entire opening & install a longer header, while a smaller window just requires adding some additional framing inside the existing rough opening. I wouldn't reccomend tackling this unless you are a DIY'er with above average skills.

Vinyl windows have vinyl frames & vinyl sashes, inside & out. Vinyl-clad windows are basically a wood frame & sash, with a vinyl cladding on the exterior, for low maintenance. The interior is still wood, which can be stained or painted to suit. Your existing Andersen windows are probably vinyl-clad.

Andersen has a video on their website explaining how to measure for replacement windows. The directions are similar for other brands. Here's a link:

http://andersenwindows.com/servlet/S...n+%26+Warranty
    Last edited by Dave357; 07-10-2007 at 11:41 PM.
    HTH

Dave

Thanks so much Dave! We are just looking at installing into an existing window frame. Most of our windows are in good condition, save one, and we wouldn't do that one ourselves most likely.
    Thanks for the tip, and the measuring video! We were a little hesitant about buying or ordering a window and not knowing if it would fit!
    Thanks again

Hi jyssilly...it's Heidi from WF. I just posted a question about replacing a window in a shower. Did you have to do this in your bathroom remodel at all?