+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Replacement Windows

Great question and replies. I have a related question...how is the return on investment for new windows? For example, if I spend $1500 now on replacement windows, when I go to sell my house in 2-3 years will I be able to re-coup the cost with a higher list price?

Hi Heidi - seriously didn't even see that you posted here! So funny.
    We did actually replace a double-hung window in our bathroom tub/shower area with a casement window. We didn't do it ourselves though. The casement was the same width as the old window and obviously much smaller height-wise - about 1/3 of the height of the original since we figured we didn't really want people looking in while we showered anyway.

petefritz - we thought of the replacement windows also for resale value, but also for energy efficiency esp in our Northeast location. Also, over the past 2 years, we've put in 2 windows as part of major bathroom and kitchen remodels and been able to recoup 1/2 the cost of the window and installation via an IRS deduction for using energy star rated windows.

Hi, as for measuring, I got this from about.com:
    1. Measure Width

Run tape from one side of the window jamb to the other side of the window jamb. You will be measuring from the inside of one jamb to the inside of the opposite jamb. Because windows can warp and skew over the years, measure at bottom, middle, and top. Hopefully all measurements will be the same or within 1/4". If not, choose the smallest measurement as your "keeper."

2. Measure Height

Same routine here but do it vertically. Again, you're measuring from the inside of the sill (that is, top) to the inside of the top window jamb (that is, its bottom-most face). Measure left, middle, and right, and choose the smallest measurement.

Just a note--you're keeping the smallest measurements so that the replacement window you order will fit in the opening. Any gaps will be filled in later.

good luck

Fishfool @ The Reef Tank

If you decide to do it yourself, you should still have the window company come out and measure the windows. This also gives the advantage of the window man being able to judge which product might be best for you. Short of that, you should look at company literature for instructions on measuring.