+ Reply to Thread

Default Draining pipes is more than I accounted for.

Today, after buying plumbing supplies for a project in a bathroom, I realized that there are NO drainage valves from the upstairs bathroom, all the way to the hot water heater in the basement. I fear that I'm going to have to drain the water heater and put some new valves along the pipes. I have limited plumbing experience, and I am wondering if I should call on a professional to do the job. What does everyone think?

Thanks.

Default Re: Draining pipes is more than I accounted for.

I mean to place some stop/drain valves in the basement, post water heater. I will need to do this to drain the pipes that run upstairs to the bathroom where I need to expand some piping. I am going to replace the existing valves in the bathroom that lead to the shower with some ball joint stop valves.

If you use a compression fitting valve or a valve with the new shark bite fittings you will only have the water "upstream" from the valve location coming out of the pipe. The water "downstream" toward the water heater can stay in the pipe. I have not personally used the shark bite fittings but have been told they are the bee's knee's!

Or you could take this as an opportunity to drain the water heater and run some water through it to wash out accumulated sediment which is maintenance that usually gets overlooked! Then while it is drained, install valves that are soldered in place. Do not put a valve immediately after the water heater as some local inspectors frown on that and if you ever go to sell your house it may raise a red flag.

Thanks a lot guys, you've been a big help.

If you want to drain the pipes for the upstairs bathroom , I'm thinking of turning off the cold water supply to the HW tank. Then open the upstairs hot water tap then go down to the next lowest tap below.
    If you want to put in shutoffs all the way down then open the lowest tap in the house, maybe something like a laundry tub in the basement.This will drain all the vertical pipes and the horizontals may have a little water left.

Dude call a PLUMBER. YOU aint gonna pick up plummin by readin a few Discussion board posts.