+ Reply to Thread

Default Cracking Roof Joists

Hi

I just bought a house and I am having a problem with cracking Roof Joists. The Ridge Beam is a 2x5 and the Roof Joists are 2x8. The problem is when the house was constructed they only nailed the top half of the Roof Joist to the ridge beam. As a result over time snow loads and Roofer slamming shingles down the joist are developing cracks. One has already cracked and is hanging from the roof sheathing already.

Please help. I need some ideas as to how to fix and stop other Joists from cracking. My idea is to cut some plywood gussets to spread the connection load over the whole 2x8.

Is there a better way? I am open to other ideas/methodes.

Thanks in advance
    albanello

Default Re: Cracking Roof Joists

[QUOTE=albanello;93937]Hi

I just bought a house and I am having a problem with cracking Roof Joists. The Ridge Beam is a 2x5 and the Roof Joists are 2x8. The problem is when the house was constructed they only nailed the top half of the Roof Joist to the ridge beam. As a result over time snow loads and Roofer slamming shingles down the joist are developing cracks. One has already cracked and is hanging from the roof sheathing already.

Please help. I need some ideas as to how to fix and stop other Joists from cracking. My idea is to cut some plywood gussets to spread the connection load over the whole 2x8.

Is there a better way? I am open to other ideas/methodes.

Thanks in advance
    albanello[/QUOTE

Is the ridge sagging, I would be surprised if its not. The 2x5 ridge should be a 2x10 or at least a 2x8 with collar ties.
    Nail the existing rafters to the ridge board, add new rafters to one side of the existing rafters nailing them together every
    16". Then add collar ties to every rafter if theres none installed now. The only reason I would add collar ties to all the rafters is due to the 2x5 ridge being to small.
    If your not able to get new full length rafters into the attic due to space limitations, nail 3/4" plywood on both sides of the rafters. Anywhere you can install a up right 2x4 and kick it down to an interior wall do it for added support.
    Any chance you can attach a picture to look at.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gizmo

Thank you for your respose.

1) I do not see any sagging in the Ridge Beam.
    2) There are Collar ties installed at every 4th Roof rafter.
    2) Pictures are attached.

ModP1000224.jpg shows the Ridge Beam and Roof rafter next to a tape measure.

ModIMG_2398.jpg shows the Collar ties. They are installed at every 4 Roof rafter.

Your suggestion should work for the rafters that are already damaged. But to do that to all the other rafters to prevent them from cracking is going to be a major expense. Is there some way of beefing up the roof joist only at the end where it connects to the ridge beam, so the rafter to ridge nail point spreads the load over the full width of the rafter?

Thanks again for your response
    albanello
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ModP1000224.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	2988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ModIMG_2398.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	2989  

It looks like theres room to slip a 2x4 under the existing ridge
    It will give you additional support to the existing 2x6 ridge.Toe nail all the rafters to the ridge. Its up to you if you want to add another rafter to the broken ones. I think plywood would be ok also. If your worried about snow load, you could nail a 2x4 mid way across the rafters then prop up from the ceiling joist to the rafter for more support.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gizmo

Thanks again for your reply.

I think I understand what you are suggesting for fixing the existing damaged Rafter
    1) Sandwich whole rafter with 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood.
    2) Support rafter with 2x4 to ceiling joist.
    3) Add more 2x4 Collar ties to other rafters.

All the Rafters are already nailed to the ridge, the problem with them is only the top part of the rafter is carrying load because that is the only place on the rafter nailed to the ridge.

????????
    What about beefing up all the other Rafters with a piece of plywood screwed?/bolted? and glued to the Rafter at the Ridge end to spread the load over the whole Rafter width. Is there another way to beef up the rafter end, that is lower cost. If the plywood is the only way how far down the rafter would you suggest I go. I'm thinking a foot, if I go the plywood route. What about those metal plates I see on truss construction ?
    ????????

I want to do a professional job BUT the cost to do all the rafters is a concern.

Thanks
    albanello