+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

Quote Originally Posted by JosephBrian View Post
    You're a diplomat A.Spruce, and I thank you for it.
    Like I said, I've been around the block a few times when it comes to forums, I'm even a moderator on a few. Most of the folks around here are great people, havana and Jack included. It just takes a bit of time to get to know everyone. Thank you for the compliment.

I believe that a wall stacked on a 3.5" wide layer of tile and mortar would be precarious, not very professional.
    There ya go, now we understand. I was thinking the same thing canuk was (see how easy it is to blame him? ) about the head room. Head room refers to YOUR head and it's clearance with the ceiling, it isn't something that one would associate with a wall because a wall is a wall, it doesn't care how tall it is.

Since this is my house and I tend to be a perfectionist, I try and consider all the options and their ramifications. Ease is never a consideration! While I consider function over form, I do consider aesthetics, though it's last.
    Bastid! there's your problem! I kid you, of course. It's refreshing to see and hear someone wanting to do things properly. We all have tales of horror at some of the things we've found on jobsites.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There ya go, now we understand. I was thinking the same thing canuk was (see how easy it is to blame him?) about the head room. Head room refers to YOUR head and it's clearance with the ceiling, it isn't something that one would associate with a wall because a wall is a wall, it doesn't care how tall it is.
    Yes I'm well aware of what headroom is , but I thought that it'd be self evident if I mentioned the probability of removing all the tile. I believed that he meant that I should leave and cover up all the tile. Sorry folks, I guess not many people have built a home from ground up. I also believe it to be self evident that whether a remodel or not you should always construct whatever part of the structure in the same order as if it were new. There's a reason you put down the sub-floor prior to erecting the walls. Obviously sub-floors are one of the hardest things to replace during a repair/remodel, because of the way they're sandwiched and the difficulty in isolating them. Joists and foundations on the other hand are much easier to isolate utilizing jacks, however alternate fastening techniques are required in most cases.

And there is a good example of your communication gap, A.Spruce. People, depending upon their experience, often say nothing about what they believe goes without saying. From my perspective you'd never leave tile between a bottom pate and the sub-floor/slab.

Additionally, I dislike this medium of communication because of it's lack of facial expressions and vocal inflections.

And for the record, I never blamed Canuk for anything (in case they misunderstand your comment).

Later

Joe
    Last edited by JosephBrian; 02-10-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Additionally, I dislike this medium of communication because of it's lack of facial expressions and vocal inflections.
    Oh, like scrunching up your face like this, and making big wavy motions with your arms like this helps ... All that does is make it harder to type ... I know what you mean though, particularly on a construction forum where seeing the issue at hand is half of the diagnostic procedure.

Oh, like scrunching up your face like this, and making big wavy motions with your arms like this helps ... All that does is make it harder to type ... I know what you mean though, particularly on a construction forum where seeing the issue at hand is half of the diagnostic procedure.
    Obviously vocal inflections are the main additive that I believe most people take for granted and make it difficult when ******. Of course they can also save your butt as well. Descending/ascending tone on any word changes it's mode. In English they call it an accent, and while specific words require one at a certain syllable, we often use them to indicate mood, urgency and emotions.

And regarding your "seeing" comment above, I'm the first person when trying to explain something to some one to pull out paper and pencil and draw a sketch.

Later,

Got to get busy around the house.

Joe

And regarding your "seeing" comment above, I'm the first person when trying to explain something to some one to pull out paper and pencil and draw a sketch.
    That's why everyone needs a two year old son ... I prefer the scrunchy face and wild arm motions.

One of my favorite stories is of the time I was in a real estate office and one of the female agents was describing an issue with one of her properties that she needed my opinion on. She was using facial expressions, laymans terms (i.e., the thingy that goes in the whoosy-ma-what's it ... ), and wild hand gestures while describing the problem. All the while three male agents were snickering and elbowing each other, making fun of her. When she finished her description, the guys were nearly rolling on the floor with laughter and one of them asked me if I knew what it was she wanted. I looked at him and said, "yes, I'm fluent in homeownerese. There is a problem with the ... blah blah blah ... " All the guys immediately stopped laughing and the woman agent got the last laugh. It's nice being bi-lingual sometimes.

That's why everyone needs a two year old son ... I prefer the scrunchy face and wild arm motions.

One of my favorite stories is of the time I was in a real estate office and one of the female agents was describing an issue with one of her properties that she needed my opinion on. She was using facial expressions, laymans terms (i.e., the thingy that goes in the whoosy-ma-what's it ... ), and wild hand gestures while describing the problem. All the while three male agents were snickering and elbowing each other, making fun of her. When she finished her description, the guys were nearly rolling on the floor with laughter and one of them asked me if I knew what it was she wanted. I looked at him and said, "yes, I'm fluent in homeownerese. There is a problem with the ... blah blah blah ... " All the guys immediately stopped laughing and the woman agent got the last laugh. It's nice being bi-lingual sometimes.
    Ahhhh, a clear case of function over form, beautiful A.Spruce, beautiful!

While in Japan and not knowing the language, I became a silly American. I decided that the only important thing was that I somehow get my message across, after all, I was hungry. So for "restaurant" (all signs were in kanji) I spooned air into my mouth via my air spoon, once there, for "too hot" I opened my mouth and waved my hand in front of it rapidly, after the meal I had to go to the head...!

Have a good one,

Joe
    A wise man once said: "In an unknown universe, it's a fool that believes his conclusions are definitive."

after the meal I had to go to the head...!
    The ASL sign for "gotta go potty" is to place your feet comfortably apart, bring your knees together, slightly bending them, cover your crotch with both hands, and "dance".