+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    Hey Joe, don't be too hard on some folks around here. We're still a little gun shy from a former member who used to berate everyone for their own benefit. I'm certain that it was just a misunderstanding earlier, no ill will was intended. Once you get to know the group you'll find most of us are quite jovial in our interactions and can even offer some sage advice to boot.
    Joe ... Ditto to Sprucey's comments.

    Could you just lay the bottom plate right over the tile and not bother with worrying about cutting?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Hey Joe, don't be too hard on some folks around here. We're still a little gun shy from a former member who used to berate everyone for their own benefit. I'm certain that it was just a misunderstanding earlier, no ill will was intended. Once you get to know the group you'll find most of us are quite jovial in our interactions and can even offer some sage advice to boot.
    I don't fair to well when my innocence is abused, I had enough of it as a child. I defy anyone to point out where I didn't show courtesy to Mr. Granite, please leave your "buddy bias" on the shelf while reading. Check messages 9, 12 & 17 in this thread and judge for yourself. Quote me and outline your argument on his behalf, I'm not afraid of intellectual debate.

    It was he who jumped the gun, not I. Intent is all that matters, and if you don't understand someone you should seek clarification before you pounce.

    I honestly thanked each and every one of your replies and have yet to receive a "Your Welcome."

    Additionally I would hope that: if one of you came to a forum where I had a group of friends, and you and I locked horns, and one of my friends jumped in, that I'd tell him to back off, that I wasn't his child, and was capable of fighting my own battles. At least that's part of my definition of a man (one on one).

    What do you do when a pack of wolves frequent your farm?

    When a newbie to a forum shows up he's already on the defensive because he knows no one. The old timers have two choices, to either make him feel at home or pounce on him.

    Honestly I came here to ask questions of Tom Silva. I really don't believe any of the cast of This Old House or Ask This Old House would ever act as some of you have. And I don't think they'd be too happy to know that some of you(only those that this applies to of course) have. I feel bad just taking up their disk space to impart the obvious to some of you.

    Now, A.Spruce as far as I'm concerned you're alright, as well as yukyuk and a few others that know what unconditional help is.

    If you're wondering where "ALL" this is coming from, yes I "really" get P.O.'d when someone jumps me for no reason and then his friends jump me because I stood up for myself against their friend.

    Look, last bit!
    It's really this simple If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. To say anything derogatory indicates your desire to start a fight. So be a man and don't say anything and either go take it out on your body bag or watch a sports game. And if you do start anything with anybody you had better be prepared, because the defenders first swing is always heavier that that of the offender.

    The funny thing is no one ever says this kind of stuff to my face. You can ask my wife, she'll tell you! I have the uncanny ability to intimidate people. Strangers almost never look me straight in the eyes. I hate it, I really hate it! It's cost me a large number of acquaintances. I wonder if that's why I get so much grief from people safely behind keyboards?

    Again Thanks, to all that know what unconditional help is, you all are good souls.

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You bet your sweet patootie we want to hear back on how your project goes. It's always nice to know what was ultimately decided and how it worked out, as well as the overall progress of the project.
    Sure thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    And if you need to borrow a Rainbow vacuum, Jack has one he can lend you ...
    I've had enough alcohol.

    Peace,


    Joe

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Would like to know if your box works out as you plan. Wonder if static charge on the plex with the tool in use causes the fine thinset and cement dust to cling and obscure your view.

    Peace be to you too.
    I really like you yukyuk. I was thinking the very same thing!
    Especially since it's winter and the air is drier. I thought about attaching a grounding strap, but plastic is an insulator so I don't know if all static (mainly generated from eddy currents due to air flow)would be bled.

    One way to find out! It could be a sweet invention if it works.

    Thanks,

    Joe

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Joe ... Ditto to Sprucey's comments.

    Could you just lay the bottom plate right over the tile and not bother with worrying about cutting?
    No, I'm worried about headroom. I'm currently at 7' 4" from bottom of joist to top of tile right now, and I plan on possibly adding radiant heat in the distant future. Actually that's another question I have, "What's the minimum thickness required over a concrete slab when adding radiant tubing." But I guess that's a question for another forum.


    Thanks much for your effort,

    Joe

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    No, I'm worried about headroom. I'm currently at 7' 4" from bottom of joist to top of tile right now, and I plan on possibly adding radiant heat in the distant future.
    I'm not following your concern here ..... since this is for the walls it doesn't impact your standing head room.

    If you are thinking of floor radiant heat that will have an impact on your head room. Depending on which type of system .... hydronic or electric ....which method of installation , what floor finish , etc. will determine the height of the floor.... with the tubing for hydronic having the most impact because of it's thickness.


    Just a thought.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,970

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephBrian View Post
    Now, A.Spruce as far as I'm concerned you're alright, as well as yukyuk and a few others that know what unconditional help is.

    If you're wondering where "ALL" this is coming from, yes I "really" get P.O.'d when someone jumps me for no reason and then his friends jump me because I stood up for myself against their friend.
    Thank you.

    I've been on forums for a very long time, and because there is no "face to face" it can at times be difficult to understand the meaning and intent of a particular post. I'm neither defending nor justifying any comments made here earlier, only saying that miscommunication and misunderstanding occurs. I'm a firm believer in the use of smilies, which help to convey the posters intents (not necessarily a factor in this instance ).

    On this forum, we have had instigators of mischief that reveled in getting everyone's blood to boil, so folks can have a tendency to be less tolerant sometimes. Some folks' humor is a little dryer than others as well, which can make for some interesting conversations.

    Welcome to TOH, post away, report back, join in, and most importantly - have fun! When all else fails, blame it on canuk ...

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Canuk,

    Setting aside the question of if it would ever be appropriate to install a wall plate on top of tile in this situation, read Joe's first post:

    I may be removing all the tile on either side of the wall in the future...

    Seems clear, crystal clear to me.
    Not very crystal clear and besides what does that change?

    Appropriate

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    When all else fails, blame it on canuk ...
    Geez ... between Sprucey and a certain someone else could drive anybody to drink.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Thank you.

    I've been on forums for a very long time, and because there is no "face to face" it can at times be difficult to understand the meaning and intent of a particular post. I'm neither defending nor justifying any comments made here earlier, only saying that miscommunication and misunderstanding occurs. I'm a firm believer in the use of smilies, which help to convey the posters intents (not necessarily a factor in this instance ).

    On this forum, we have had instigators of mischief that reveled in getting everyone's blood to boil, so folks can have a tendency to be less tolerant sometimes. Some folks' humor is a little dryer than others as well, which can make for some interesting conversations.

    Welcome to TOH, post away, report back, join in, and most importantly - have fun! When all else fails, blame it on canuk ...
    You're a diplomat A.Spruce, and I thank you for it.

    I hear you on the communications thing, which is why I'm usually long winded, I find it's best to make my intentions as obvious as possible, but still I can be unintentionally misleading.

    Thanks for the welcome!

    Joe

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Remove 4" parallel section of tile for plate

    Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I'm not following your concern here ..... since this is for the walls it doesn't impact your standing head room.
    I'm putting in a bottom plate for a 2x4 studded wall. It's floor tile that I'm removing.

    Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    If you are thinking of floor radiant heat that will have an impact on your head room. Depending on which type of system .... hydronic or electric ....which method of installation , what floor finish , etc. will determine the height of the floor.... with the tubing for hydronic having the most impact because of it's thickness.
    Hydronic, (carpeting & tile) looking at a Polaris dual function water heater. Would you happen to know what minimal thickness would be required?

    Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephBrian View Post
    I may be removing all the tile on either side of the wall in the future
    Not very crystal clear and besides what does that change?
    No worries, I sometimes find it hard to enter a long thread and catch all the nuances. Especially when there's long messages. I usually just skim.

    What I meant to imply was that since I planned on possibly removing all the tile in the future it would be best to consider this when making my decision on how to proceed at this point. I believe that a wall stacked on a 3.5" wide layer of tile and mortar would be precarious, not very professional. Since this is my house and I tend to be a perfectionist, I try and consider all the options and their ramifications. Ease is never a consideration! While I consider function over form, I do consider aesthetics, though it's last.

    Thanks for your input, I value anyone dealing benevolence.

    Joe

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •