+ Reply to Thread

Default Fluorescent light bulbs

Recently I attempted to replace bulbs in an overhead double-light fluorescent fixture. The old bulbs were not completely out, but had become dim. Despite careful fitting (I thought) the new bulbs do not work at all. Is there more to do than simply replace the bulbs? I've heard the term "starter" used in connection with these type bulbs. What is that, and do/does that need to be replaced also when replacing the bulb?

Default Re: Fluorescent light bulbs

Starters are still available for purchase, but have not been installed in units for years, if that helps..

If there is a starter, just replace it, they are cheap. It will be a small cylinder about the diameter of a lifesaver roll & an inch long. Only the top may be showing. Twist & pull out.
    It seems more likely that the pins aren't making contact or something broke or bent. Turn off the breaker to work on it(don't forget to turn it back on)

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    If there is a starter, just replace it, they are cheap. It will be a small cylinder about the diameter of a lifesaver roll & an inch long. Only the top may be showing. Twist & pull out.
    It seems more likely that the pins aren't making contact or something broke or bent. Turn off the breaker to work on it(don't forget to turn it back on)
    I think you can get em for about 89 cents...