+ Reply to Thread

Default SOS! This house is going to KILL ME!

I have been working on a 1949 house and for 12-15 hours a day the past 3 days I have been trying to get this God-awful peel/stick tile off.

I finally accomplished this by googling a million sites and someone suggested using a steam iron (Bye-Bye, Proctor and Gamble wonderful iron!).

It worked getting the actual tile up but now I'm left with the black residue and it's so sticky that my tennis shoes are stuck to the floor. When I tried to walk they wouldn't budge. It was like Braer Rabbit and the tar baby. I'm not kidding. Why would someone use tar to glue linoleum into place?

You KNOW I can't use the iron on that cause it will clog up the holes where the steam comes out. I can't take anymore. My dogs are hiding under the bed.

Someone else mentioned pouring scalding water on the adhesive and scraping it up. That kind of worked- at least it's brown now and you can walk on it without your shoes coming off. But I still have to pull up the plywood to get to the beautiful wood underneath.

I am a fairly attractive woman and now I have "man hands" (splinters, cuts, etc,).I can't afford to hire anyone.

Please help. After I figure out how to move the major appliances (I weigh 100 lbs) I'm sure there's more under there.)

I have tried many adhhesiveremovers and wire brushes. Nada.

Miggy

Default Re: SOS! This house is going to KILL ME!

Try and this will sound wierd bt baking soda on the sticky mess and then the stuff should roll up into balls -unfortunatly if your wear gloves the stuff will puul them off you can put barrier cream on your hands from an automotive store.Try a small area. it works on glue but it may or may not work on tar-What do you have to loose-more finger nails

cut back adhesive remover. older cutback often contains asbestos in the adhesive. the asphalt, vinyl and linolem tiles also often contain asbestos fibers especially in the backing, should use wet methods to remove them unless you know they don't contain asbestos. many of the older tiles also contain lead. some of the old lino pastes contain arsenic.

laying a thick layer of newspaper on the floor and wetting it down with a tea kettle (hot) of boiling water and white vinegar may loosen it up some (and the wet newsprint keeps the area moist). keep a spray bottle handy and keep all areas moist when you wet sc****. using newsprint saturated with removal chemicals/solutions will also keep the area moist and aid in the effectiveness. some have had success with a soy gel based product, others prefer an orange oil based product.

you might find a used wall paper steamer or steam cleaner or a used steam iron or fabric steamer at a resale shop like goodwill or a rummage or tag sale.

if this tar is on underlayment (you mentioned plywood, could be luan or other like masonite) that you plan to remove to uncover wood floor underneath why bother to remove the tar, just go ahead and remove the underlayment, but be sure you wouldn't be removing actual subfloor if it is more than 1/4-3/8" thick it might be structural subfloor added later in the history of your home.

To work without sticking you might just stick or staple a layer of heavy builder's paper on the floor, or sweep a layer of sand or oil dry or clay cat litter to keep the glue from sticking to your shoes while you rip out the underlayment. keep spraying the underlayment with water so you don't get particles airborne while you pry it up.

if this tar is on underlayment (plywood) that you plan to remove to uncover wood floor underneath why bother
    I was thinking the same thing. Just spread paper or sawdust or any other non-toxic thing you've got to get rid of the sticky long enough to pull the underlayment. I wouldn't recommend sand or cat litter - Sand will dull saw blades and be abrasive to anything that touches it, cat litter dust isn't good to breath or handle. The easiest way to remove underlayment is to set your saw just shy of the underlayment thickness and score it in two directions. Use a sacrificial saw blade and wear gloves, eye protection, and long sleeves because you'll likely hit a fastener of some sort while doing this. Once scored you can work your demolition tools under the pieces and pop them off more easily than trying to lift large areas.

Good luck and use care.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Just spread paper or sawdust or any other non-toxic thing you've got to get rid of the sticky long enough to pull the underlayment. I wouldn't recommend sand or cat litter - Sand will dull saw blades and be abrasive to anything that touches it, cat litter dust isn't good to breath or handle. The easiest way to remove underlayment is to set your saw just shy of the underlayment thickness and score it in two directions. Use a sacrificial saw blade and wear gloves, eye protection, and long sleeves because you'll likely hit a fastener of some sort while doing this. Once scored you can work your demolition tools under the pieces and pop them off more easily than trying to lift large areas.

Good luck and use care.
    the idea being to strip and sc**** the tar from your cut zones, then sweep the sand or cat litter on the non-cut access zones and also gum up your circular saw or other saw blade. the tar or adhesive shouldn't be cut through with a saw blade either as it may stir up asbestos or other nasty fibers. last I heard breathing in saw dust wood fibers was also unwise.

when prying up underlayment I usually work with 2x4' sections, depending on the joist position and nailing patterns I usually don't bother trimming or scoring much smaller, as using the material itself for leverage makes prying it up easier with a long flat bar and a few pieces of scrap 2x4" as a fulcrum.

This is an old post and your probably done your floor but I found this product ****** (haven't used it though) called Bean-e-doo it's made from soy beans and is non-toxic. It's a mastic remover which is what the black tar stuff is. Do a search on it.