+ Reply to Thread

Question Load bearing wall?

I have a 2 story hip roof home with a basement. I am looking to remove a center wall which runs parallel with the floor joists from the back load bearing wall to a center wall which is perpendicular to the wall I want to remove. There is not a wall on the story above which is directly overhead. I believe the wall is not load bearing from my research and knowledge but want to be absolutely sure before starting the project which will open up my kitchen to a much bigger project. Please advise. Thank you.

Default Re: Load bearing wall?

This can be tricky ...

The fact there is no wall above this on the second level may or may not be an indication in determining this .... providing everything is original and there hasn't been any previous renovations can help .

Typically walls that run parallel with the floor joists aren't load bearing .... but not always.
    If you were to look from the basement side .... if that wall rests on a single floor joist then likely it's just a dividing interior wall.

If you are in doubt it's worth it to call in a professional to confirm this... better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by canuk; 02-03-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: wording oopsie

Thank you.

Your welcome.