+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dishwasher / compression fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Just another example of why we should convert to metric!
    MC
    Or better yet, but American.

Thanks for the direct quote, but like I mentioned, my problem is where the hose connects to the supply at the shut off. so I took the 2nd hose back to HD, and replaced it with a 3rd, and the shut off is brand new, the threads look good. But it still leaks. Everyone at HD seemed shocked too. Since it's got a nice rubber gasket, this shouldn't be a problem.. I checked for nicks in the gasket, and the threads on both sides.. none that I could see. Very strange..

Just curious .... is the shut off valve one for compression fittings ?

a compression fitting is brass to brass then you have a fitting that connects up to the supply or the hose, and it at this connection from my understanding that it is leaking and I advised using teflon tape and that is the link that I provided recommended and he is being told not to use the teflon tape, water under pressure will seep through the smallest of gaps, which teflon tape fills, teflon tape is not washed away by water, and when you wrap the connection you make sure that the tape is only on the threads and not past and you will have no problems

I second the teflon tape.

It's just leaking from the threads between the supply hose at the shut off. Yes it's brass.

My understanding from the article was to use teflon tape on the angle fitting into the diswasher, not on the compression fitting.

And like I mentioned above, when I tried teflon tape, it made it worse. Crazy.. The only explanation I can find, is that some websites say that if you use teflon tape on a compression fitting, you can create an uneven seal.

In the end, I may have a plumber come out, since I can't figure anything else out.. I could try some pipe dope...

That braided hose may be the problem. I never use them cause that aint plumbing. If you are in the USA then get a plumbing size 3/8" ferrule and compression nut like what came with it when you bought that elbow and a length of 3/8" copper tube and tie into the hot with a stop valve again with a compression nut and ferrule. use some light weight oil or stay soft pipe dope, rector seal T plus 2 or Megaloc (name brands) on the ferrule. 3/4 turn past finger tight should get it but crankit til it stops leaking and if it breaks the go buy another one and try again. WELCOME TO PLUMBING!!