+ Reply to Thread

Default Cabinet Slide for Triangular Drawer

I am building a corner cabinet for my bathroom.

My unit has a triangular drawer and I was wondering what kind of rail(s) I should use. I've seen Norm use the soft close rails and I like that feature. Do I have to take a normal rail and flip it on its side? Here's a link to a microsoft word file that has the sketch to clearly illustrate my design.

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~bwhitl...es/cabinet.doc

What type of rails do I need and how should I mount them?

~Brian from Kent, Ohio

Default Re: Cabinet Slide for Triangular Drawer

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    I didn't bother with your link, but I'd suspect the best choice as you described it, would be a center mounted under drawer slide with a full extension or over extension at the longest center point of the drawer: mounted to the face frame under the drawer box opening and on a corner block at the back, and the guide rail to the bottom of the drawer and to the back of the drawer box.
    Awesome, is there a manufacturer or retailer that produces or sells center mounted under drawer slides with a soft close feature? Also, how do I determine how long I want my slide to be since I have a triangular drawer?

here is a good link that will work with your drawer design

http://www.libertyhardware.com/asset...structions.pdf

Actually, that link won't work well with a triangular drawer. It relies on a center roller mounted on the drawer (which is OK) and 2 side rollers mounted on the face frame of the cabinet. As soon as you open a triangular drawer an inch or two, it would fall off the side rollers.

What is needed here is a single undermount drawer slide, assuming that the drawer is small enough.
    Last edited by Dave357; 02-03-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    HTH

Dave

right you are dave I didn't notice that

Here's a center mount that may work.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...rawer%20slides

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

As far as I know there are no full extension center mount slides, the danger of twisting if one side of the drawer is loaded is far to great. All that I have seem are 3/4 extension. Here are a couple of other suppliers Lee Valley and Woodcraft. None are self close or soft close.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    There are plenty of full extension center undermount drawer slides.

Amerock happens to make this one a full extension center undermount with ball bearings, I'll link you to an 18" one from the Grainger catalog. This is an example of a light duty drawer slide.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1PWP8
    Click on the additional information tab.

If really heavy duty you can use an Accuride Model 9301 extra heavy duty full extension drawer slide. These flat mounted as a single center drawer slide and maintain a 150 lb rating for an 18x32" frequent use drawer. Pretty sure Rockler still carries them, and they too are rated and safe to use as a full extension even as a center flat undermount for frequent and fully loaded use.

Just two examples on both ends of the spectrum, of the many out there that would do the job and less extreme duty than the Accuride 9301.

Set your block and use a longer slide and design slight overtravel if you want by blocking the back of your drawer box.

Edit: Yep Rockler has them, see middle of page 2 for flat mount ratings: http://www.rockler.com/Tech/9301.pdf
    I stand corrected about full extension drawer slides. However considering the light weight construction of drawers, I would be leary of using them, however with such a small drawer it may be feasable. Thanks for the info YukYuk.
    Jack

Thanks guys for the replies.

Im going to need a slide that is less than 10" however so most of the suggestions won't work. Also, It doesn't have to be heavy duty since its only going to be for washcloths and such, and I'll accept 3/4 extension because I know this type of slide will be harder to find. I haven't built the boxes yet so I have more variety to the hardware I can choose. If you have any ideas for a preferably ball bearing side under 10", please let me know. Thanks,

Brian

Talking Re: Cabinet Slide for Triangular Drawer

I can supply soft drawer slide with air damper.

Just need 0.4USD/inch.

Any size is available.

sales.bumper@gmail.com