+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Why are they not raising this house?

Hi y'all,
    I didn't hear any discussion on the show about why they chose NOT to raise this house up 3 feet to put it above the flood level. Seems silly. The Habitat houses are being built 6 or 7 feet up - why not this one? It seems like there is going to be a lot of heartache the next time the area floods.

Default Re: Why are they not raising this house?

I'm sure it has something to do with the 2nd story. I wouldn't want a camel back shotgun that is 3 stories tall next to me.

Part of it could be the historical integrity of the house as well.

In all truth, I think it's just something that Musician's Village/Habitat for Humanity has done to set their building practices apart.

It could also be a budget buster therefor the home owner doesn't think it's necessary.
    Debby in Oklahoma

What amazes me is that after seeing the devastation that occurs after flood water recede, people still insist on living there. With all the great land this county has that is outside of flood plane why anyone would ever use those areas for any thing other than planting crops and grazing cattle is beyond me. All the vacant houses they show of people who aren't returning are the smart ones.
    Last edited by libcarp; 02-04-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Cool Re: Why are they not raising this house?

I live in a house that was flooded twice. The flooding was a mistake made by the Army Corp of Engineers. We live her as a show of faith in the the dam up river. I'm sure that history, owning the property and Faith is the determining factor in returning to the Lower 9th Ward.

Think about it, would you return to a house that was hit by a natural disaster? Earthquake, Tornado, or Avalanche. Something other than a flood? Would you rebuild if you home caught fire?

I'm sure the answer is yes. Why wouldn't you return to a place that flooded.

FYI, my house is on the flood plain, the 500 year flood plain. I do have one corner that is in the 100 year plain, it's not the house but the pool that is in that area. I still have protection for my house though and Faith that the Corp of Engineers won't let the water get that high ever again.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Who pays for all these repairs that TOH is doing? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to raise the house & rebuild it? Also-Look at the cost of the mold removal??

Quote Originally Posted by woodgreen View Post
    Who pays for all these repairs that TOH is doing? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to raise the house & rebuild it? Also-Look at the cost of the mold removal??
    The homeowner pays, TOH usually gets discounts from manufacturers and some craftsmen for the advertising generated by being on the show. The house is an historic house in an historic district. It's not a mansion but historic just the same.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by woodgreen View Post
    With so little of our nation's housing stock built to any decent degree of integrity, I find it very admirable that the owner decided to keep the original structure instead of doing a demo/rebuild. Built from barges or not, these homes were built at a time when construction and integrity were on equal footing. These old homes are not just historical to look at, they document a time when building was a craft, not a job. If the owner had a post-War house, then by all means, demo it & start over.

I agree with the original poster. I think it would have made a lot more sense to raise the house some. Sure, it would be expensive. But so is rebuilding after a flood. I would think that it would be hard to get decent flood insurance with the house still so low to the ground.